Logged in users > User Diaries

JW's Smoker -part 4 1/2

<< < (2/3) > >>

george65:

I have built quite a few wood Fired Pizza ovens now. Build one for yourself and all your friends want one.
I would like to try a Smoker though.  Looked them up on the net and watched YT vids and the food they produce looks amazing. 
 I don't think it is such a big thing here as in the states so would make it a great novelty and talking piece for a party as well as providing Delicious Tucker.

We don't have a lot of aromatic type trees here to smoke with and Eucalypt  wouldn't go with a lot of meats but it might be OK with Platypus or Koala?

JW:
You need to use hardwoods god forbid you use pine, very bad.

So Oak, mesquite, button wood, hickory, apple, and cherry.   

Mary B:
Most fruit and nut trees are safe to smoke with, doa web search on the trees in your area. There is a list here http://ausbbq.com.au/a-guide-to-smoking-with-native-australian-hardwoods/ and oak is mentioned. Oak is a good all around smoking wood. Burns medium hot, very sweet smoke with a clean burning fire. Your smoke should be almost invisible and not white and billowing.

frackers:

--- Quote from: george65 on February 19, 2017, 05:33:00 PM ---it might be OK with Platypus or Koala?

--- End quote ---
Might be OK with 'roo or rabbit ;)

madlabs:

--- Quote from: Mary B on February 21, 2017, 09:12:22 PM ---Oak is a good all around smoking wood. Burns medium hot, very sweet smoke with a clean burning fire.

--- End quote ---

Except Tan Oak. I found that out by ruining a 12 pound ham. It was nasty! Horrible! It was supposed to be Christmas dinner!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version