Author Topic: FEB 9th - Research  (Read 891 times)

toddj71

FEB 9th - Research
« on: February 10, 2008, 02:38:17 AM »
Another full day researching, reading and trying to comprehend the power attained from the wind.

Need further information on diodes, how many amps is needed.  

How do I stay away from using batteries as they are exspensive. (Grid tie inverter?)

What are the essentials, do I need a controller - or this strictly for use w/ batteries, or used as a dump load.

Is an off switch really need when you have a dump load?

Need to locate a better diagram - to be utilized with an ametek motor.

Have a feeling I may try to assemble one by way of one of these motors.

And if all goes well, look into building a homemade turbine using Hugh Piggott's designs.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:38:17 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: FEB 9th - Research
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 01:25:42 AM »
Spend another day thinking what you are trying to achieve.

If you live in a remote area or have a boat or cabin or something that needs modest power then it makes sense to have batteries, you will save yourself having to run a fossil fuelled generator and it all makes perfect sense. Your power will cost you much more than from the grid but still much cheaper than buying fuel.

You are in a very different position, unless you are prepared to invest in a large machine (probably 12ft plus) then you have no hope of saving money, what you produce in the lifetime of the system will probably not cover the cost of a grid tie inverter.

If it is fun you want or to ease your conscience then fine, that is your choice.

Many just build small systems with a battery to have fun and ease their conscience, they will never save a penny over the cost of grid power unless they get everything at below true cost, including batteries.

To consider grid tying a small amtec motor is just not a financial reality with the cost of grid tie inverters at the present moment even if you can get through all the legal nightmare.

I suspect I may get some hostility from this comment, but I see a trend here recently, it was mainly people in remote places trying to get some power. Now it seems to be a lot of people aiming for free energy. There is nothing free in this world, it just depends on how you look at it.

With batteries you are free to do much as you please, but with grid tie you need approved equipment ( that approval makes the things expensive). You need to comply with lots of regulations ( many crazy in truth, but they need to cater for the idiot). You would need to be in a very windy area to get a payback within the lifetime of the equipment with a small machine and if it did pay for itself you would get little free power.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:25:42 AM by Flux »

scorman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 06:23:54 AM »
Hey Flux,

right on the money! ( pun intended )

A detracter not included in your scenario which is a valid point, is that other than off-grid, battery charging/discharging is only 70% efficient and another 10% loss for electronics, makes the smaller units wasteful in only modest wind. (could be phrased better?)

however, you did leave out one scenario ..there are many of us "builders" and tinkerers who scavenge at the metal salvage yards, carve wooden blades, and hunt at Craig's and eBay for components and final use of the juice is resistance heating as exemplified by Dave B's 18 footer. Admittedly efficient, but not much use for the juice in summer.

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 06:23:54 AM by scorman »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:47:31 AM »
I was thinking about the small stuff. When you go over 12ft things change, I doubt that heating is really worthwhile with less than 12 ft unless in an exceptionally good wind area. Dave's 18ft is more realistic.

Even grid tie could be cost effective possibly from 10ft upwards. This is rather a different game from amtec motors.

At least with heating you avoid the long initial delay of paying for a costly inverter so you could start gaining quite early on.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 07:47:31 AM by Flux »

brianschanafelt

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:07:49 AM »
If you decide to go with grid tie only you might come across a day that you might really need the backup power when the grid is out. I know that is is really expensive to get batteries but it will pay off in the long run when you are out of power. Plus if you buy good batteries and treat them well by watering often. they should last a long time. I am still learning myself. Even if i have way more spent into my turbine than i will use in years. But is still fun to see something that u built up and flying.

I looked into grid tie just for the know. But it is way to far down the road before i even think about purchasing one if ever. Just want a couple of things to run off the turbine not the whole house yet. Long away from doing that, and a lot more money too.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 09:07:49 AM by brianschanafelt »