Author Topic: better heat sink [WARNING 5 HUGE pictures]  (Read 1685 times)

brianschanafelt

better heat sink [WARNING 5 HUGE pictures]
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:44:03 AM »
I was looking out in the back and i came across a old burnt out 30a 12v pc30b power source for our fifth wheel.

This is after i took the electronics out. still I think this will work better than the jet ski CDI box that i have on the mill now. Still would be a good idea to use the jet ski box because it is die cast. But this is controller box will work a lot more cooler because of the heat sink.

Went down to rat shack today and purchased some heat sink compound. That crap is expencive to get there. But i didn't feel like driving twenty miles to get it in the city.Then i put my bridge rectifiers spaced about 3/8" apart or something close (Eyeballed to be technical) then marked out the holes and drilled holes so i could hold them down with a screw.

This should disperse enough heat hopefully? well i will find out but it will be fine getting the wind on top of the mill.

check out this picture i took a few months ago camping in wrightwood. Has any body ever been there? it is about four miles away from my house always has snow somewhere there.

Wrightwood Ca.

Anyway nice looking sheep if i say!!!

Will have more pictures soon on final wireing plus lots of pictures in my personal files on projects in the making

Brian: You have completely and utterly violated image guidelines here.  I count 5 photos ranging from 350 to 550 megabytes. Since it is a Diary, I left it [this time]. Please comply with these guidelines in the future or we will have to remove them. TW.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:44:03 AM by (unknown) »

blueyonder

Re: better heat sink
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 04:45:01 AM »
 brian i think you could space the rectifiers out a bit more.

if they had a equal bit of the sink each it might be better.

your only using one side .

but im no expert . hopefully sumone else can give you a better idea .

so wait and see what others will say.

it will make it more easy to wire up aswell.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:45:01 AM by blueyonder »

ZooT

Re: better heat sink [WARNING 5 HUGE pictures]
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »
I don't know, so I'm asking...

Wouldn't the rectifiers cool better mounted on a vertical rather than horizontal surface?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:53:37 AM by ZooT »

phil b

Re: better heat sink [WARNING 5 HUGE pictures]
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 01:04:27 PM »
It seems you have extra space on the opposite side where you have all the heat sinks mounted. I would suggest mounting 2 on the opposite side and one in the center, all equally spaced. The cooler your diodes run, the longer they last. Heat sink compound is expensive, but it only takes a thin coating across the diodes face. It will last for years. :)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:04:27 PM by phil b »
Phil