Author Topic: Cut In I am Realy Not Sure.  (Read 1838 times)

Live6766

Cut In I am Realy Not Sure.
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:03:23 PM »
I am Trying to find out my cut in and i am not sure.

Reading all over. Checked the Board and Googled. Can some post a web site for me that will explane this Please <<<

Thanks (The Lost Man) Tom

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:03:23 PM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
Re: Cut In I am Realy Not Sure.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:18:09 PM »
http://www.otherpower.com/glossary.html there is a handy glossary of wind power terms. the definition of cut in in there is not the simplest. basically cut in for a windmill is the rpm that the generator reaches battery voltage. the larger the diameter of the blades the slower the cut in needs to be.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:18:09 PM by kurt »

Live6766

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »
kurt

Thanks now i just have to determine what my cut in is...???
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 06:07:26 PM by Live6766 »

kurt

• website
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 06:49:59 PM »
well if you would give complete info you would get better answers what exactly are you trying to determine the cut in on??

is it a pm dc motor if so what voltage and what rpm is it?? you can figure approximate cut in from that. rpm/voltage * cut in voltage, that will get you in the ballpark as to what to expect the cut in to be

you can check the voltage at 2 known speeds then use some math to calculate the cut in rpm  

without more info i am just shooting at the moon here.

i should beat you with a trout for posting incomplete questions after all the discussion about that lately

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 06:49:59 PM by kurt »

Live6766

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 07:15:03 PM »
  Yes i Know, But i was not looking for you to give me an answer just point me in the right direction to do some research. Thanks so much. And yes i did see the post of incomplete questions.

Hear is what i think i know. Blades are 6' so with some research in 10mph wind i am getting 300 rpm at 18 volts 2.9 ohm and 6.9 amps. Is this looking Right?? I am still Not sure??

My pm dc motor is a 90 vdc  1750 rmp. as far as cut in volts  am not sure there nither But i thick it is 13.something ???

Still reading up found a post from last year Great explanation.

www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/11/24/31543/327

Thanks Tom ( the lost one )

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:15:03 PM by Live6766 »

CmeBREW

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:02:27 PM »
Well,,, it looks like that DC motor would reach 12-14 volts (12v battery cut-in) around 220-230 rpm.  You must have a fairly good AMP rating on that motor.

'Cut-in' is when the generator reaches whatever the battery voltage (or;level of charge)  is -- so that the battery begins to accept the charging current flow.

It sounds like you are getting 'open voltage' of the generator confused with the 'system battery voltage'. (or;clamped voltage)

'Open voltage' of the generator is not really that important.

Once the generator is hooked to the diode and battery, the 12v battery will 'clamp down' or 'hold down' the volts of the generator  to the battery's voltage of 12-15 vdc.(depending on the level of charge)

When the generator voltage reaches the battery voltage, the battery HOLDS (or,clamps) the voltage at that point(12-15vdc), and then the AMPS start going up and up.  

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:02:27 PM by CmeBREW »

Live6766

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 08:09:50 PM »
CmeBREW

Thanks for the info I thick i am getting there. So i am in the ball pack with my Numbers then A,,???

Great explanation. Thanks.

Tom

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:09:50 PM by Live6766 »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 01:47:45 AM »
 "  Hear is what i think i know. Blades are 6' so with some research in 10mph wind i am getting 300 rpm at 18 volts 2.9 ohm and 6.9 amps. Is this looking Right?? I am still Not sure??"

If your motor was rated at 90v at 1750 rpm then to reach cut in ( say 13v For a low battery) then it will need to run at 1750 x 13/90 or 250rpm. As a generator the losses work differently and the cut in may be a little over 250rpm but we can't predict any more accurately.

If would seem unlikely that you would see 18v at 300rpm, but it is in the right ball park. You will certainly be above cut in at 300 rpm.

Now I have no idea where the 2.9 ohms and 6.9A come from. Unless you clarify this then there is no point in guessing. If it is the internal resistance of the motor then you will not get a charging current of 6.9A. If it is your dump load resistor value then it is irrelevant to the charging process.

Elsewhere you explained that you were measuring open circuit voltages. If this deliberate and the diode is not connected then these voltages make sense but it is a dangerous thing to do. If you are measuring these voltages before the diode and it is supposedly connected to the battery then there is something wrong.As CmeBREW said, the thing should be clamped to the battery voltage. Somehow you seem unable to explain what you are really measuring.

Open circuit voltage is meaningless beyond cut in and you should not be looking at it.

You say at one point you measured 90v, that will be at 1750rpm or above and is a truly frightening speed for a 6ft prop, it will be more like a helicopter noise.

I realise you are new and are confused by the terminology, but you should be measuring things when the diode is conducting to the battery. Volts are meaningless except for state of battery charge, you need to measure amps.

If you could clarify the resistance and current figures mentioned above it would help us figure out what you are doing.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:47:45 AM by Flux »

Live6766

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 05:33:38 AM »
Okay Thanks  

I do have some work to do then I will get this figured out and post later.   Thanks to all once again, i am getting there.

Tom

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:33:38 AM by Live6766 »