Author Topic: Spotwelder finished  (Read 1966 times)

dinges

Spotwelder finished
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:03:27 PM »
Dear Diary,

This is not really about RE but it may still interest the odd person on this board. Besides, it could be used for spotwelding batterypacks and those packs have use in RE...

Yesterday I finally finished the capacitor-discharge spotwelder of which construction started in early January (but the plans had been brewing in my head for nearly a decade). It is meant to be used for welding batterypacks. The nickel strips that can be seen in the packs of cordless drills, for example.

By a stroke of luck I managed to recently purchase capacitors for the bank at a very low price (with enough capacitors left to build another welding machine). About a week later I found the required large thyristor. And a few months earlier I had finally built a few powersupplies (Oztules' PC PSU modification) that could power the machine. In short, everything came together at the right time so there was no excuse to not build one anymore after years of procrastinating.

The principle is simple. A modified PC PSU with current limit at 10 A puts out a user-adjustable voltage of 2.5-24 V that slowly (in this case, just 3-4 s) charges the capacitor bank. The bank consists of 23 capacitors of 68.000 uF / 25 V, so in total 1.56 F @ 25V. The bank can thus store E = 1/2 * C * V^2 = 1/2 * 1.56 * 25^2 = 488 J (Ws) of energy. Since I reduced voltage of the supply to 24 V (so as to be sure to not exceed the capacitor voltage rating) the actual maximum energy that will be stored is 450 J.

When the bank is charged the user puts the electrodes on the workpiece and presses the footswitch to discharge the capacitors in the workpiece. The footswitch triggers the thyristor (via the control board). In less than a millisecond the energy stored in the capacitors is released into the weld zone. This produces one (or two, depending on how one welds) small spotwelds.

That's basically all there is to it. By adjusting charge voltage one can adjust the weld energy, thus preventing vaporizing small workpieces (yes, that happened a few times too...). When the welds are performed properly (clean electrodes, enough electrode pressure) there are only very few sparks (still, one should wear safety glasses). The welding proceeds so fast that the workpiece has no time to heat up; one can touch the weld zone immediately after the weld is made.

In the picture below can be seen some test welds. To my surprize the apparatus is able to not only weld the 0.005" nickel tabs for which it was designed, but up to 3 mm total thickness stainless steel as well. Very impressive.

All in all, a useful addition to the shop. And after roughly hundred testwelds, the machine seems to perform satisfactorily without a sign of problems.

Two minor details that anyone who considers building one should keep in mind: the relay to disconnect the PSU during welding failed pretty quickly; it got welded stuck in its resting position (NC) after just a few welds. The relay I replaced it with did too. Obviously, when the capacitor bank is discharged and the relay falls back to its NC position, the large inrush current (now supplied by the capacitors in the PC PSU) weld the contacts together. Lesson learned. The relay has been bypassed by a wire. This means one has to remove the probes from the workpiece to  stop the thyristor from conducting, but it's no big deal. No arcing occurs, as I had feared (and what was the reason I added the relay)

Another possible issue is that I've used aluminium bar to make the capacitor bank, not copper. Aluminium has only slightly higher resistance than copper, but my main worry is that it might oxidize over time. We'll see how it keeps up, if it turns out to be a problem I'll replace the bars with copper bus bar.

Below are some more pictures of the machine in its various stages of completion, along with pictures of a few test welds.

Aluminium cooling fin contains the thyristor, the green board on top is the homebuilt controller. The board on the left contains a 24V @ 2A power supply.

Under construction. The modified PC PSU can be clearly seen here in the background.

Some testwelds.

More testwelds.

More high-resolution pictures can be found here, for anyone interested:

http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery/album92?page=1

One last interesting detail: apart from the surplus capacitors (1 E/pc) it was built entirely out of junk, i.e. parts/components/enclosures that were thrown away by others. Similar commercially manufactured machines (with only 200 Ws of weld energy) cost about 3000 US$.

All in all, a simple, fun and useful project.

Peter.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 03:03:27 PM by (unknown) »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

dbcollen

Re: Spotwelder finished
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:30:47 AM »
Could you use a solid state relay in place of the mechanical one?

If so what would the amperage through it be, I may have one for you.

Dustin

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:30:47 AM by dbcollen »

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Peter, could you do some test welds on dissimilar metals to produce some thermocouples. Eg. (Iron wire and copper wire) Or can you weld copper to copper coil connections. What about stainless steel. Very RE related.
Joseph
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:17:00 PM by WXYZCIENCE »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:47:09 PM »
On the oxidation issue, I can't help but notice that many of my large electrolytics have aluminum alloy sockets for the screw sockets.  It would seem if that was a big problem, it would not be used for those as well.  Aluminum on aluminum should not corrode as fast as a dissimilar metal junction with one active and a less active metal.

That said, with the amperage you are pulling through the junctions in and out of the bank, even a little resistance there could cause rapid local heating.  Rich

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:47:09 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 02:31:48 PM »
Well another well presented Dinges project.

It's nice to see someone using the poor old psu for a useful purpose other than just a poor mans battery charger, or a safe current driver for projects you don't wish to kill (switchmode experiments) straight away.

Maybe a starter motor relay (motorcycle size ) will simply solve the relay problem.

Good work Peter

........oztules

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:31:48 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

dinges

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:49:29 PM »
Thanks for your comments, all.

DB, thanks for the offer, but I have a few SSRs myself. If I felt the relay actually had any real purpose anymore (as I initially thought it would have) I'd add a small (0.1 ohm/10 W) resistor, a transistor to switch it, or a more powerful relay. But it's not really needed I know now. There's no problem with sparks being drawn or arcs created when the (energized) electrodes are withdrawn. Probably because of the way the PC PSU limits current and turns voltage down.

Joseph, I haven't (yet) tried to weld thermocouples. CD spotwelders like mine (but much less powerful) are used for that, so I have little doubt mine could too. I'm using at the moment copper electrodes. For welding copper and aluminium, one needs a LOT of power and tungsten electrodes. I'm now building a clamp with tungsten rods. Copper and aluminium are relatively hard to spotweld (they require a lot of energy) because of their low electrical resistance and high thermal conductivity. Stainless steel, on the other hand, is a joy to weld. Very easy because of its relatively high electrical resistance (i.e. a lot of heat is developed) and low thermal conductivity (the heat stays in the weld zone). I've welded both nickel, steel and stainless steel, to themselves and to eachother, without problem.

Rich, yes, these capacitors have aluminium electrical contacts too. It was more the other electrical connections (to the bus bar and connecting wire) I was worrying about. But maybe I worry too much. Time will tell.

Oz, I find it amazing and funny how 'your' project (PC PSU) came just in time for this project. Without it I'd probably have built a small linear variable supply at, say, 1 A. That would mean recharge times on the order of ~40 seconds, as opposed to the present 3-4 seconds.

The nice thing is that this CD spotwelder adds a lot to the range of metals I can now weld; for the very thin sheet stuff (which was impossible to even TIG, as 5A (the minimum on my machine) gave way too much heat)) there's now the spotwelder. So, with this machine I can now weld workpieces that were impossible to weld before. It's also a relatively clean process, with little noise, sparks, smells, etc; simply a pleasure to work with.

Peter.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:49:29 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 05:38:42 PM »
That's a really nice unit Good work
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:38:42 PM by tecker »

domwild

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »
Well done!!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:56:47 PM by domwild »

phil b

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 12:21:45 PM »
Good work Peter!

It's stories like this that keeps me coming back to this site.

This would be equipment I would use for years. Makes me drool. :) :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:21:45 PM by phil b »
Phil