Author Topic: Mounting magnets  (Read 824 times)

Lumberjack

Mounting magnets
« on: April 04, 2008, 04:39:49 AM »
I am kind of curious as to how the magnetic field is affected if the magnet is deeply embedded in a steel plate. To be precise I am thinking of drilling the rotor and using small rod type magnets glued into the holes with epoxy. I am wondering if putting half or more of the magnet into the steel rotor will enhance the field or reduce it...

Opinions?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:39:49 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Mounting magnets
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 02:17:12 AM »
At best you loose a lot of flux. If you only go half depth the total loss may not be disastrous but it is still a crazy thing to do.

How bad the loss is depends on the relative geometry and also on the associated magnetic circuit around the magnet. You are creating large leakage paths and you are also introducing the possibility of virtual poles in the rest of the magnetic circuit.

Except for holding and lifting magnets it's crazy,even then you need clearance round the magnet.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:17:12 AM by Flux »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 08:00:32 AM »
 The pole speration is lost in the metal as it spreads out.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:00:32 AM by tecker »

Lumberjack

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:50:50 PM »
Thanks, I kind of suspected that was the case. It just seemed a too easy solution....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:50:50 PM by Lumberjack »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 06:13:19 PM »
Put well less than half of the magnet below the metal.

Ideally you should use an end mill to cut a very shallow flat-bottomed hole, creating a slight ridge to hold the magnet in position mostly above the metal and fulling in contact with it on the back face (without "shorting out" a significant amount of its flux or creating a big void below the metal-facing pole) while you attach the other magnets and encapsulate the assembly.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 06:13:19 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »