Author Topic: Magnet layout on small 5 inch disc  (Read 1043 times)

coldspot

Magnet layout on small 5 inch disc
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:12:45 PM »
 Working with what I have:   :)

I've got three sprockets that have the right shaft

size for use with a trailer hub I have thats so old it's shaft size is only 3/4",,..!! The hub is brand new in the box. I couldn't find any axle shafts for sale that size but have made a solid shaft that will work. (also a hollow shaft, maybe???)

This will have the trailer hub mounted solid and the shaft with the rotors spinning free.

(not sure about using a rotor as a blade mount or not yet)

Also I have a A-frame set up with pillow block type bearings and the same 3/4" shaft size.(VAWT maybe)

Anyway, the sprockets are 6" across but only 5" usable less the teeth and a small lip.

The spacing between the mag disc's can be as close as 1/4". But, the sprocket hubs have a thickness that will only allow these spacings with them touching each other:,,.. 1/4", 3/4" or 1 3/4".

I'll need to drill and tap some jacking holes.

I'd like to use these as a Dbl 12 magnet poles, 9 coils alt.

So what I need is the spacing for the magnets and coils.

The magnets:, I have about two hundred half inch disc magnets that are 1/16" thick N40's. So I'd like to use them on this, maybe two or three end to end from center out and stacked up a few deep.

(1/2" X 1/16")

I'll be working towards a 12 Volt system.

Dbl., Rotor Air Core

So, thanks for any help and some printable layouts would be nice...

:)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:12:45 PM by (unknown) »
$0.02

coldspot

Re: Magnet layout on small 5 inch disc
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:27:38 PM »
 Well

After searching the "Magnet Layout"

I had a quick and easy idea,,..  :)

Its a sprocket

Divide the magnet amount in to the teeth total!

(36 teeth 12 magnets)

So I guess I'll line up the magnets on every third

tooth, I do not think I'll be able to line three up in a row from outer lip towards the center. But two will fit easy, and I'll have to stack them up to get a better magnet amount. I'm just using what I have so all I'll need is some wire.

I'm more than open to any thoughts on what gauge to try some test coils with.

PS: a 12 magnet rotor gets the magnets at every 30 degrees and every 40 degrees for the coils using 9 coils.

:)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:27:38 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

Capt Slog

Re: Magnet layout on small 5 inch disc
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:14:46 AM »
There's not going to be a "set layout" as such that someone can just pull off the shelf, it will be a matter of a compromise of "best fit" to suit what you want you generator to do and the materails you have to hand.

This post by Flux holds the answers

http://www.fieldlines.com/comments/2008/4/8/2224/69352/4#4

I've just reread the end of your post where you mention putting your magnets end to end.  If I've got it right, I think you mean having them in a line like the spokes of a wheel?  I'm pretty certain that I've read this before and it wasn't recomended.  Theres a problem with getting the magnets to sit next to each other and so you'll need more wire per coil to go around each magnet array, which means more resistance for little benefit.  

If you want to use those magnets, better to stack them to make taller magnets on a single radius.  You'll have to ask those in the real know, but from what I've read before, I'd say make 24 magnets of 8 deep, then you'll have 1/2" diameter by 1/2" deep which will use 192 mags.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:14:46 AM by Capt Slog »