Author Topic: Forklift Battery  (Read 1288 times)

coldspot

Forklift Battery
« on: April 28, 2008, 01:58:34 AM »
 When you get the chance, It's best to JUMP on it !

This is the 2nd one of these that I've gotten them to let me, "take off your hands",.

It is sitting there full of "ACID" you know,.!!!

"http://www.enersysmp.com/pdfs/DeserthogBrochure4pgs_20.00.8.pdf"

This is the "E125D", 12 cell, 24 Volt.

USED of course but, This model was introduced

in July 2002, this battery, I don't know its age.

The first one I gave to a friend and after he added water the cells all seem to be OK. I hope I'm that lucky also!!!!!   :)

I'll post more after I get to play with it some more. Just getting it to my shed/shop was hard enough!!!LOL!!   (1638Lbs)

:)  
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:58:34 AM by (unknown) »
$0.02

donald77777

Re: Forklift Battery
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »
Very nice find. How did you manage to move the beast?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:55:15 PM by donald77777 »

coldspot

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »
donald77777-

"to move the beast"

The first one-

Had them use their lift truck with my chain, to put it into the rear end of my work trucks box. The main reason I gave it away was not having anyway to move it.

My friend has a tractor with a wide bucket up front and this about didn't get it off my work truck, but did manage to lift it out.

KJ my friend, later on then tipped it over onto its side and cut the connections then pulled each cell out of the maybe, 1/2" plate box.

He said that moving around each cell isn't that bad,(farm boy, built like a V, AutoBody Man, HUGE forarms,,.. Ya know the type),.  LOL!!! :)

The second one-

Was on a wooden pallet, I was pulled up to their dock, so I told one of the lower on the pole workers that was running a small electric pallet jack type lift to move it from outside into the rear corner on my work trucks box. Trying to keep it towards the very rear we had to push the jack out from under it up the small ramp until it cleared the pallet the battery was on, busting the wood up a bit.

When I got out to my shed/shop, I set up the liftgate on my truck and chained the pallet to a pole, then pulling the truck forward, pulled the pallet out onto the liftgate, (right into the hinge of the folding gate of course), then moving the chain to a different pole, I moved the truck again until the pallet was clear of the trucks box and only on the liftgate. I lowered the liftgate to the ground and then I again moved the truck forward pulling the battery off the gate onto the ground.

By now the pallet was busted up very badly and this all would have been a lot faster if I had had some one watching while I drove the truck, but I was alone and only moved a few inches at a time. LOL!

Lucky for me that there is a couple of backhoes out there for when I'm ready to move it anymore if I don't go for the single cell at a time movement.

I need to get a dozen or more gallons of distilled water and work on it some more, soon.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 09:47:02 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

coldspot

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 11:37:08 PM »
 Tuesday I took six gallons of distilled water

out to the shop and didn't even get half of the cells topped off! (added a full gallon to each).

Today I when back with nine gallons, and only have about a half gallon left.

Last weekend, the voltage was only at 17. volts.

I hooked up the 24 Volt panel from my "Solar Scooter", around 8.5 watts. That was sunday.

Tuesday, the volts had not changed, 17 volts, but,

after adding water to the cells I numbered 1-6, the voltmeter was showing from a half to one volt more in just a hour or so.

Today the meter showed about 19 volts, but after filling all 12 cells to the bottom of the sight slot in the cells opening, the meter was showing over 20 volts. A few hours later, between snow storms, I checked it before heading home and saw a bit over 22 volts.

Also buying a package of funnels at the dollar store was a lot less effort than cutting one out from a used drinking water bottle.

LOL !

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:37:08 PM by coldspot »
$0.02