Author Topic: Hawking my advice...  (Read 1365 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Hawking my advice...
« on: April 30, 2008, 02:53:43 PM »
(ADMIN: if this is sailing too near the wind as advertising, nuke it, but I'm pretty sure that no one here needs my services!)

Hi,

I've decided to try and dispense some of the information I've soaked up so far from my own tiny experiments over the last months, in part from here of course.

I believe that I'm in a location (London) with many rich people (many public figures, and some billionaires even!) many of whom have a conscience but who would not really know where to begin with energy conservation at home for example, beyond maybe putting in CFLs.  Maybe because they're just not technical, for a start.

So I'm pitching this:

http://www.exnet.com/Energy.html

to try and keep things simple, help them explore plausible solutions such as solar or heat pumps or just more insulation, and be on their side helping them deal with the technology and suppliers.

It's a punt, but to be honest I'd be quite pleased if I helped a few people on the initial free chat if it encourages them to start thinking about the issues.

Comments, suggestions (other than where to plant my head!) welcome as ever.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:53:43 PM by (unknown) »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

paradigmdesign

Re: Hawking my advice...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:20:03 AM »
$500 for a half of a day on the phone seems a little steep.  Then again, what do I know?  I have never paid for RE consultation.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:20:03 AM by paradigmdesign »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:37:14 AM »
Hmm, $500 for 4 hours [half a normal workday] yields $125 / hour. Much less than many consultants would get by the hour.

I was charging $225 in the 1990's and everything is more expensive now.

Plus, some folks think of that kind of money the way I think of pocket change.

Just another angle.

Tom

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:37:14 AM by TomW »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:42:03 AM »
Hi Tom,

Yes, indeed, it is less than I already get in IT consulting, and with less easy credit control, etc!  B^>

So it's difficult to tell where it falls between pocket-change and sticker-shock for my imagined target group!

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:42:03 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »
Hey, I haven't paid for an RE consultant either!  Here's hoping to start that experience on the right end of the invoice.  B^>

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:43:35 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:57:24 AM »
Advice is cheap... LOL.

Mat (in "CSA approval?") only has to pay a field inspector to come by C$152 per hour including travel time.

I wonder if that includes mileage.

G-

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:57:24 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:54 AM »
Or a sunny disposition like mine?  B^>

(The thought of a "windy disposition" is less good...)

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:02:54 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

David HK

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »
Hello Damon,

I am trying a different approach.

As well as building full scale wind turbines, a solar hot water system, and a tracking photopholtaic arrangement. I am also making miniature replicas of these thingsin the form of display boards for equipment such as sensors, essential test equipment, safgety, etc, and in paper form I am documenting all my work in text and photographs for use in a book or in Power Point presentations. That is a short synopsis of it all.

The end result should be available later this year, and I intend to hawk it around to local fairs, schools, clubs and some technical education establishments for looking and learning.

As far as costs are concerned I shall be seeking honorarium's which makes it easier for the institutions concerned.

This may give you some ideas.

David HK

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:51:22 PM by David HK »

Stonebrain

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 02:53:51 PM »
The more people have money to spent,the more they are poluting,so ripping of a max from the rich people is a good deed for the planet.

The risk is however you can become like them, some dilemmas make life so hard...

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:53:51 PM by Stonebrain »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »
Hmm, yes, thanks!

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:23:57 PM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 05:14:51 PM »
Just speaking as a utilitarian the products are out there . A break from the norm Ie "pay the dime to  show ones colors in the  political tapestry " is not going to happen until a large scale brownout forces folks to throw open a window . I can see consultation is your best way of advancing RE so go with it . The overhead your suggesting  doesn't seem like the right solution for those who will be profoundly affected and who will be standing on the corner trying to bum buss fair . The fuel clowns want to believe the glut is still with us . The Epower clowns want to side step the issue as well . There is no problem and the solution is to find the malcontents and force them to conform .That solution is to  have the noise cranked up 24 7 so all will  have immediate consequences  for non conforming and a label ready that's . Stinks like a fat a.. fart looks like soot on the roof and feels like impending doom . How do you consult  muckity mucks that have interests with those that have failed on their watch and see a solution like incarceration. Make sure the clients are for real .
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 05:14:51 PM by tecker »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 06:21:53 AM »
Damon;

I like your approach. I also like the statement you made about giving away free advice if someone just asks and seems genuinely interested.

I don't noramlly charge for advice, and don't even mind giving away information on how to get started with alternative fuels. Most of the time its over a pint anyway.

The overhead seems to be a good way to make sure those that can afford it, are indeed actually interested and willing to put their money where there mouth is.

good on you and may your endeavours be fruitfull

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 06:21:53 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard