Author Topic: I'm kaffufled  (Read 1160 times)

bigkahoonaa

I'm kaffufled
« on: May 10, 2008, 04:37:45 AM »
I went to one of my favourite electronic shop.  They had a huge closing sale, and I scored a big box of components for $20.  Examples of a few power supplies:

Even had some logic switches:

Most of the stuff works.  Not bad for less than $0.50 each.  My goal is to learn more about power electronics, but that's not my conundrum.  This is:

The schematic:

I get current flowing through, even when there's no gate voltage and I disconnect the power caps.  I'm kaffufled.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 04:37:45 AM by (unknown) »

ve6aym

Re: I'm kaffufled
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:15:35 PM »
One of your irf730 is shorted from source to drain or you have a short from b+ to ground in your circuit.. fets usually short..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 11:15:35 PM by ve6aym »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 05:22:56 AM »
My favorite electronics store is going out of business too

in fact, today is their last day

I have $60 spendable and I'll be going over there and see what I can get on the Last Day Clearance

I guess the internet is killing the Brick & Mortar stores

and I guess that I am part of the problem cause I get piles of electronics from eBay and other internet locations.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 05:22:56 AM by wooferhound »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:16:22 AM »
Don't understand your circuit. Capacitors in strange places, no freewheel diode. No indication of where the gate drive is referenced to and no mosfet driver.

If the gate drive is referenced to the wrong place then it may be permanently on. Looks like a fet killer circuit so if one is dead I wouldn't be surprised.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:16:22 AM by Flux »

bigkahoonaa

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »
Thanks guys.  I looked at the circuit again, and I finally realised that I was sending the "pot" the wrong way.  Good thing no one can see my red face on the internet.

The driver signal comes from a Picaxe PWM pin.  I tried putting a freewheel diode but it never seemed to make any difference.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 03:20:46 PM by bigkahoonaa »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 06:18:01 PM »
Its a mystery to me how this actually works at all.

I must be reading this wrong, as I feel the cap is in the wrong place and reversed. (the neg terminal is at a more positive potential than the pos terminal).

As to my way of thinking, the drain is at a lower potential than the source in your diagram.  Usually, a conducting diode closes the circuit on the inductor when the fet turns off. In this case (to my thinking anyway), then the body diodes would perform this function. This may explain why adding conducting diodes made no obvious difference.

In it's current config, it may struggle... but work. The back emf generated by the conductor may current spike the fets body diode though, so this just doesn't work for me.

By changing the pot reference point, you would make the gate more negative with respect to the source, and this should turn it off I guess, but it just seems all wrong... the gs voltage may go excessive when the fet is open..... ie the source will go to gen+ almost, while the gate is tied to the drain by the pot.

Note, I have not built a buck, but if I did, it would not be in this guise, if it works well like this then .... but the fets seem vulnerable.... and the cap is still wrong to me.

I may be completely wrong with this, but it just do't look right.

.........oztules

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 06:18:01 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 03:22:17 AM »
After looking at your circuit again, I am completely wrong.

I neglected to check the frame of reference for the genny. It has the most negative point on its genny ground,  I was looking at battery - being the most negative point. But it is not.

So the cap is around the right way (still think it's the wrong place) and the drain is less negative than the source. So that makes it a bit clearer to me now, but there is still a goodly amount of mud in my vision on this one.

Where is the pwm referenced to??.... gate and ?

The body diode is still being used as the freewheel diode, but through the impedance of the genny.... is this correct? I think a diode from drain to battery+ should do better.

........oztules

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 03:22:17 AM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

bigkahoonaa

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »
Hi Oztules

The most negative point is genny ground, so the caps are the right way around.  It would have clearer had I posted all the circuit.  It's here.  I've tried adding diodes but the LTSpice model never shows anything but a few microamps going thru the diode.  The real circuit may be different.  I like your idea of adding a diode going back to battery +.  It should limit voltage at the fets to whatever the genny produces plus the drop across the diodes.

I got it working again.  I trashed the idea of the pot and added 10K resistors at the base of the fets between gate and source.  I was hoping to see if there was any changes with resistance.  Anyway, I'm going to try to see what happens when I change PWM frequency, power caps, and inductors.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 07:13:05 PM by bigkahoonaa »