Author Topic: Homemade batteries entry #2  (Read 2862 times)

wooliver

Homemade batteries entry #2
« on: May 14, 2008, 12:48:03 PM »
the issue of charging brings up the issue of expansion. Eletralasis creates gas. The very little info i could glean on aquous alkaline cells, seem to indicate that crystals form if the electrolyte is exposed to the air. So you need an air lock. So you need to run your cell vent line into a jar of water, or put a check valve on your vent line. Of course enclosing an entire battery or a single cell requires a some thought into how to run the wires out yet seal the unit. Always striving to makee it simple and cost effective, i'll forge ahead on this matter.

Reading about Zinc/air batteries and their relatives got me thinking, the reaction only has to happen with one of the plates. The other plate is to transfer the opposite polar current. Looking at an typical alkaline paste cell, the reaction seems to be with the zinc in the center (negative post). The container is simply to tranfer the positive side of the action. Remember nobody has told me if this is right or wrong. But between the experiments and the research, the use of copper tubing, i believe, was not a good choice. I've always been creating a reaction with the zinc plated tubing, but aluminium will be the next replacement for the copper tubing.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:48:03 PM by (unknown) »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Homemade batteries entry #2
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:01:26 AM »
Providing enough reservoir space above plates for surplus electrolyte also leaves room for adding a thin (<5mm) layer of mineral oil to keep water evaporation to a minimum. The oil is messy and should only be added once you have a valid design being used for work, it will interfere with dip-tube fluid level checking and creep out into the vent baffles and top of case, etc.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 08:01:26 AM by DanG »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »
Yes, Edison's nickel/iron (NiFe) battery with alkaline electrolyte were topped off with a thin layer of oil.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:49:28 PM by spinningmagnets »

tjspears

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 03:58:41 PM »
Over the years I have picked up a few bottles labeled "Edison Oil" along the railroad tracks where there were old semaphore signals, they make a neat little collectors item. Here is a photo of one similar <ima href="http://www.myantiqueradio.com/images/edison-oil.jpg">
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:58:41 PM by tjspears »

tjspears

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 04:00:13 PM »
sorry, thats
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:00:13 PM by tjspears »