Author Topic: Memorial Day  (Read 1796 times)

KurtJ

Memorial Day
« on: May 23, 2008, 01:48:38 PM »
I just had a young man walk into my office very excited about the prospect of the approaching long weekend. I inquired if he knew the history of Memorial Day. So being a retired Army guy I gave him the basic history as follows.

First and foremost, Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. It was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, National Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.

Since then, the meaning and spirit of Memorial Day has been lost to many, becoming just another day off from work or school. The sacrifice born by those who gave their all to protect our nation and freedoms should never be forgotten or taken for granted. We should all take time from whatever we are doing over this holiday, to give thanks and remembrance to those who've made it possible. Whether we fly the flag, participate in a Memorial Day celebration, or simply pause in appreciation, let's not lose sight of the real meaning of the day and the memory of those who have so honorably served.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:48:38 PM by (unknown) »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:04:59 AM »
kurtj;

As a fellow ARMY guy; and the proud dad of two who currently "serve" with one over visiting a 2nd time with the 101st.

I say Thank YOU and AMEN!!

SALUTE!~!

Bruce S

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:04:59 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:28:42 PM »
To many people take our freedom as a given thing and complain about wanting more. Yet there is only a few that have been able to realize that our freedoms was bought and paid for by those before us and there lives were what gave us our way of life. I have two in the Army and one over in Iraq and the other going in Sept. The next one goes into the Navy in Oct. They will miss our yearly visit to one of the nurseing homes I go to talk with veterans.  Once on Memoerial Day and once on Vetrans Day. Many are just forgotton.  So I tip my hat to those who have gone before us and given us our freedom. Thank You.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:28:42 PM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 01:22:01 PM »
For the guys there now, it is not enough to get shot and blown up while making schools and hospitals safe,

They try to find time for windmills to supply clean water after they come home.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/5/5/63028/15111

Some towns still have a parade.  Children carry flags to the graves.  Lots of flags.  I did it.

We knew why we were out of school.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:22:01 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

PeterAVT

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:21:31 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, from a very Scottish and German American. To this day we are still resolving the repercussions from the Civil war and the World Wars. I have had family on both sides of all those wars and I will say that it was hardly worth it. I do remember quite well, through pics and diaries and etc. though I am quite thouroughly a Yank. Pleas allow me to close this with a copy-paste from a Robert Frost poem:

'The Gift Outright'

The land was ours before we were the land's.

She was our land more than a hundred years

Before we were her people. She was ours

In Massachusetts, in Virginia,

But we were England's, still colonials,

Possessing what we still were unpossessed by,

Possessed by what we now no more possessed.

Something we were withholding made us weak

Until we found out that it was ourselves

We were withholding from our land of living,

And forthwith found salvation in surrender.

Such as we were we gave ourselves outright

(The deed of gift was many deeds of war)

To the land vaguely realizing westward,

But still unstoried, artless, unenhanced,

Such as she was, such as she would become.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:21:31 PM by PeterAVT »

stephent

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:56:59 PM »
Those in the US should visit a Vetrans Cemetary and just stroll around a bit Monday..

Think about what the men and women stood for.

Even the ones who died as a civilian after their time of service....at one time they had stood up and were ready.

Both sides of my family are filled with Vets who served.

I will be going by two Veteran Cemetaries (National and Arkansas Veterans) on Monday around the Little Rock area.

I know it won't be easy at either of the cemetaries for me....but I will go.

I will never forget what they gave.

I won't forget what Memorial Day stands for.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:56:59 PM by stephent »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 03:15:03 AM »
A moment to remember those who's lives were cut short and the ones that love them . For those that struggle with what was done in service . Write that down then let it go. Live for those who didn't . Take time to Set a new goal now and live.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:15:03 AM by tecker »

motoman465

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 11:13:01 PM »
I am ashamed to admit that I was one of those people that did not know the true meaning of Memorial Day while I was growing up.  I joined the Army right out of high school and served in Operation Desert Storm.  Since then, I have gained a new sense of appreciation and respect for ALL vets.  May God bless all those that have served, all those are serving, and all those that will one day serve.  This is one man that will never forget the price that some have paid for our freedom!

Todd

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 11:13:01 PM by motoman465 »

jmk

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 06:18:33 PM »
 I think of the movie, ( Saving Private Ryan). He has all those memories that he is reminiscing at the grave yard on Memorial Day with his family.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 06:18:33 PM by jmk »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 07:27:17 PM »
It has always been a family get together for me to remember a uncle who died in Korea before I was born. I can't afford the gas to go anywhere but I made sure to get my flag up after yesterdays 60 mph gusts snapped the flag pole again.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 07:27:17 PM by MaryAlana »