Author Topic: Generating a few solar-pumped electrons  (Read 1031 times)

pvale

Generating a few solar-pumped electrons
« on: May 28, 2008, 01:14:08 AM »
Well, I'm finally generating some solar electrons into my batteries. I've got 3 sets of HF solar panels, with 2 sets deployed at this point.

I have an old ICP 7A charge controller in use for right now, until I get the charge controller I bought from Ghurd built and tested. I have a 33Ah wheelchair sealed battery on the bottom shelf, and a couple of jumper batteries jacked in. The terminal strip jumpered with copper sheet is my main DC bus for the moment. The pigtail socket and light bulb laying below are my test/dump load.

Better/closer image. I have all of my amateur radio euipment converted to Anderson powerpoles, so it was logical to extend them to the solar power system. Also have a Watts Up connected between the solar panels and the batteries.

This image shows the results of a cloudy day with over 10Ah into the batteries. The Peak Watts were 62W and this was shot at 4:00pm or so, so I did have some periods of hazy sunlight.

I will not deploy my third set of panels until I get Ghurd's charge controller built and get to Sam's for a set of 6V golf cart batteries. I am running a 2 meter mobile radio 24/7 from this setup, and occasional use of my IC706 HF(not Harbor Freight) rig.

My old ICP controller will not handle over 7A, so I'm afriad the third set of panels would overload it.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:14:08 AM by (unknown) »

valterra

Re: Generating a few solar-pumped electrons
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:41:45 PM »
Awesome!  I have 1 set of the HF panels, and was all ready to jump on you about your battery being too small.  Then I saw you mention golf cart batteries.

As someone who has nearly the same system as you (i have small wind in addition to my solar) I can tell you that you'll  be pretty happy with the results and with those batteries.

Glen makes a great kit there.  Unfortunately it hasn't done much since I installed it (have some constant loads hooked up now that I have the golf cart batts) it does a very awesome job of keeping you from overcharging your batts.

KC6TBA   :)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 07:41:45 PM by valterra »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Generating a few solar-pumped electrons
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:00:17 AM »
About the 10AH into the battery at 13.69V while 2.1A charging at 4:00PM.

The controller probably held some power back to keep the voltage under control.

That's 1/3rd of the battery capacity.  Larger batteries would have taken more AH, so it's better than the simple numbers suggest.

It's been a while since I saw a Freedom Jazz.

Wish they still made them.

G-

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:00:17 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller