Author Topic: 17' turbine almost operational in WV  (Read 2414 times)

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
17' turbine almost operational in WV
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
All,

About a month ago a buddy of mine and I attempted to raise the blades onto the wind turbine at the top of my 70' freestanding tower. A number of technical glitches prohibited us from accomplishing this task. Believe me after that day I certainly had both 'tower envy' for those with tilting towers, and secretly wished that I had gone solar.

While I really like the aesthetics of the free standing tower, it provides me with challenges that those who have tilting towers never have.

Recently I completely rewired my tower (making it far better than original), put up a long Kellem wire grip onto my cables, made my davit crane better, added eye bolts on top to clip onto, replaced my C40 with a Tristar TS60, completed all wiring, among many other tasks.

Let's just say that I have become quite proficient at climbing my tower, and I understand a lot more now about inverter back-end systems than when started.

Up till recently I had to wait till the weekends to perform any work on the tower/turbine, but problems of weather/wind/logistics I have not been able to get the blades and tail up onto the turbine. It is always windy here and that along with the non-tilting tower have provided many obstacles.

Last Thursday the weather report finally was kind to me and we had next to perfect weather with only 3-4mph winds. So I took the opportunity to try to get things operational here.

First up were my blades and tail sections onto the turbine. The stator was shorted so that the rotors could be turned but would inhibit the blades from rotating. With the stator shorted you can turn the rotors, it does not turn easily but this gave me the ability to align the rotor to the holes on the hub.

Here is a picture with me threading the nuts onto the threaded rod that holds the blades onto the turbine. I used lock washers, lock tite, and double nutted each stud:

Once the blades were on the brake actuator was engaged to positively keep the blades from rotating, and the guide rope was removed.

Next up was the tail this was a little more difficult as the lift point was a little bit off on the tail. The lift point should be slightly off center and away from the tail vane so that it can be put onto the yaw bearing easily, my lift point was on the side towards the tail vane making it slightly difficult to maneuver. But eventually I was able to man-handle it and get it onto the pivot point.

The next picture shows that the lift point was too far out and was also a reach for the winch as well:

The crane worked very well and I am quite happy with how it performed.

Next comes Murphy's law again - the telescoping tower stub. When we connected the winch and attempted to lift the stub it would not move. As it started to lift I could see resistance from the lower mounting plate.

Last fall prior to having the crane lift the tower into position the stub was checked out to ensure that it could rotate in the mounting collars, if it can rotate, the it can be telescoped. I suspect that since the tower was lifted by the top mounting plate that the alignment of the collars got 'tweaked' a bit. I put a long bar through the pin hole and tried to rotate the stub, but it would not move.

Hind site being what it is I believe that I should have made the lower mounting plate with the collar separated - instead of welding them together. And then using some L's on the collar and bolted them through the top of the plate would have been the best solution. The mounting bolt holes could be slotted to allow the collar to be shifted and easier to get/keep aligned. Experience really does make a difference in these small design and construction details.

At this point I had been on the tower easily 4 hrs and was getting tired so decided to call it a day.

For now the blades and tail are lashed to the tower to keep it from rotating, as until I extend the top stub there is not clearance for the blades when the wind attempts to turn the turbine.

Here are a couple of pictures of the tower with the completed turbine, being that they were taken from downhill the tower appears taller than it actually is:

Tomorrow the weather forecast is favorable so I am hoping to remove the lower mounting plate, rework it, get it back up and extend the telescoping stub. We'll see if I can get it done in a day.

The last couple of days I have lucked out because the wind has come from basically the same direction, however it is forecasted that in 2 days a storm is blowing in from the south. If I can't complete the tasks then I may need to remove the tail.

To be continued...

Dan Lenox

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 09:19:00 PM by (unknown) »

blueyonder

Re: 17' turbine almost operational in WV
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
your a brave man dan.  

now i feel bad as i hold the hand rail going upstairs to bed.

but it sure looks good.  and you must be so fit. do you have a thermos and hot drink when your up there. or dos your other half bring you a cup of coffie.

four hours is a long time. take care.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 05:14:05 PM by blueyonder »

jmk

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:39:48 AM »
 Nice looking set up you have there. I bet it even looks taller from the top. I'm glad I have a tilt up tower. I am getting to old for that. I hope you get it all figured out and running soon. Make sure you tie yourself to the tower. No horse play anyway.  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:39:48 AM by jmk »

dlenox

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:14:06 PM »
All,

OK the weather gods were with me again, perfect weather with just a hint of a wind. Murphy is still around - but I beat him today - and got the telescoping stub raised!

In climbing the tower early this morning I realized that the lower mounting plate could not be removed for modification since 1/2 the lattice braces are located on the inside of the tower structure. So instead I loosened the bolts that held the lower mounting plate in position and when I got the winch mounted into place and gave it a try, this time it worked!

In my working with the design that I have I found one thing that repeatedly came back around - forgetting to design in allowances for things like hooks. It has been a close call on a couple of occasions (sometimes by inches) and I barely squeaked by with enough room or height.

But it all finally came together for me today and I got the wind turbine raised and into operating position.

Here are some of the pictures that I took from various angles:

In the next week or so I can finally get the turbine operational and get some electricity generated and data accumulated.

Once I can get my transfer switch installed between my electric meter and my main panel I can push any 'extra' power generated back into the grid.

Dan Lenox

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:14:06 PM by dlenox »

dlenox

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »
blueyonder,

Not so sure about the brave thing, more of necessity that I climb.

Lucky for me in the picture the blade was blocking view of my gut, not nearly as fit as I was in my younger years.

BTW: my wife hates heights

Dan

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:01:10 PM by dlenox »

dlenox

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:05:18 PM »
jmk,

Yea great view from the top!  Belive me that I have tower envy for tilt-ups, getting tired of climbing...

Recently I took pictures from the top and stiched them into two panoramic 180 degree images, they can be seen at:

http://www.briery.com/wind_turbine/images/panoramic_view_sm.jpg

http://www.briery.com/wind_turbine/images/panoramic_view2_sm.jpg

Dan

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:05:18 PM by dlenox »

jmk

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 06:27:02 PM »
 Wow, so that's what WV looks like! You should catch some clean air up there. Looking forward to your reports.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:27:02 PM by jmk »

dlenox

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 06:56:08 AM »
jmk,

Yep - home of Paul Bunyon!

Lots of mountains where I live, daily I have to drive up/down a 2.5 mile incline to get up to the top of our mountain, and we live at the very top of it!

Recently I had a meeting with PPM Energy (http://www.ppmenergy.com) they have a number of wind farms that are in WV (and other places around the world). Apparently they are interested in putting up to four dozen large 2.5mw wind turbines along about 10 miles of our ridge. I just wish that I owned some of the land where they were constructing...

But it certainly reinforces my decision to go with wind power!

This first panoramic picture is facing South:

http://www.briery.com/wind_turbine/images/panoramic_view_sm.jpg

While this panoramic picture is facing North:

http://www.briery.com/wind_turbine/images/panoramic_view2_sm.jpg

In my area most of the time the wind comes from NW and West, and I have a large valley below my property.  From what I understand wind accellerates up the ridge and can have 2x the speed when it hits the ridge top (where I live).

Dan Lenox

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 06:56:08 AM by dlenox »

jmk

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 04:07:22 PM »
 I thought that Paul lived in Twin City, or Fargo, North Dakota? They have a big statue there anyway. I am sure that the wind increases at the top of the mountain. Out West the wind blows so hard at the top of the ski resorts it gets unbearable at times. Those are big mountains, but I bet you are going to get similar conditions. Have fun and let us know how it performs.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:07:22 PM by jmk »

elvin1949

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 03:07:52 AM »
  Paul was born in the east. He moved west looking for bigger trees.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 03:07:52 AM by elvin1949 »