Author Topic: 1HP 3 Phase Motor Conversion Part II  (Read 1424 times)

valterra

1HP 3 Phase Motor Conversion Part II
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:58:48 AM »
I got the rotor all cut down!  It took a return trip to the machine shop.  A container of my wife's delicious chocolate chip cookies helped move things along smoothly (read: free) for me.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jehmobile/3PhConversion/photo#5208564161044264242

This picture shows the "trenches" we built to help with the flux path, which NOBODY commented about!  (?)  That is kind of (?) reassuring, because if it was a really STUPID idea, I would have gotten like 25 posts about it.   lol.  

http://picasaweb.google.com/jehmobile/3PhConversion/photo#5208564209107407970

Theory behind the trenches is here in this MSPaintCAD drawing:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jehmobile/3PhConversion/photo#5205787284720200050

Will add more information as time comes.  I am posting most of these thoughts and progress to my journal at http://jonvalt.livejournal.com/tag/wind  which should allow any of you guys to comment without creating an account or anything.  Let me know if it doesn't work.  I use that site because they have an app for my mobile phone that allows me to post "on the go," and I can also edit my posts.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 12:58:48 AM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: 1HP 3 Phase Motor Conversion Part II
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 02:56:07 AM »
Look's like you got it turned down not sure about the end cuts looks like wasted spsce.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:56:07 AM by tecker »

valterra

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 08:38:57 AM »
not sure what you mean there...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:38:57 AM by valterra »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »
We aren't the engineering review panel, here.  (Half teasing, but never judge bad from good by the response on a forum!)  More like the "peanut gallery".

I never saw the grooves before, and they don't look like the best solution for what you want to achieve.  I can picture what the purpose was, but why didn't you just get magnets better sized for the rotor and just fill up the length?  Then the magnets cover up to the end, and the leakage flux out the edge is even smaller than down to the bottom of the groove.  Plus you have more magnet (50% more or less), and potentially more power out...

Okay that's enough of my peanut shells.  You've got a start going.  Careful getting those bar magnets on!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 11:13:35 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »
Sounds like it is being cut for curved magnets instead of little disks.

G-
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:45:04 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

valterra

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
Okay, I see the point there.  I'm in effect taking away useable rotor real estate that could be better utilized by putting more magnets on.

That's right - I have curved magnets.  They'll line up exactly with the edges of the ditches on the rotor.  

I couldn't see the value of investing more time trying to force more disc or cylinder magnets next to these very strong, perfect fitting curved ones.  You know, a bunch of N poles don't want to sit right next to each other.  And since round (not curved) magnets have flat tops, I guessed that using them would force me to carve more out of my rotor, increasing the gap between my curved magnets.  Right? Because their edges would add bumps to the circular plane.

This is my first conversion, so I will rely heavily on peanut gallery comments and grains of salt.  I am very fortunate to have 4 curved neos.  Using many round mags instead appears to be much more tedious (again, the N poles not liking each other thing).

Thanks guys!  Look forward to your comments on wiring next!

I'm surprised Flux hasn't said anything.  After all, we are talking about his namesake here.  lol

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:14:18 PM by valterra »