Author Topic: Flat Plate Axial Mill Coil Winder  (Read 5772 times)

brianc4

Flat Plate Axial Mill Coil Winder
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:07:18 PM »
Finally got the coil winder cut & put together. There have been some really late nights this week trying to keep up with customers jobs & my projects.

I will be making several mills for myself & several for friends & family so I went ahead and built a coil winder with a spool tensioner a wire tensioner & a counter so I can't get lost.

Below is the test coil I wound this afternoon 36 turns of 11 ga. square magnet wire heavy build enamel with single glass wrap.

I now have the stator mount on the spindle and hope to get test coil mounted on some plywood so I can place it in between the rotors and test the voltage. It is already 5:00 in the afternoon so I probabally won't get it done Today!

Brian Clark
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 09:07:18 PM by (unknown) »

deloiter

Re: Flat Plate Axial Mill Coil Winder
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:08:34 PM »
Good looking work.  Where did you buy that counter?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:08:34 PM by deloiter »

brianc4

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »
I picked up a buch of those counters from Wholsale Tool for another project & still had some left. They were about $6.00 ea. a year or so ago. Wholsale Tool has a website you can order from I ordered mine out of the catalog by phone.

Brian Clark

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:35:02 PM by brianc4 »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »
hey i like the nice tight shape of the finished coils!

with the double insulation and glass wrap, should take a bunch of heat as well

bob g

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:19:50 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »
Golly,

Square, enamelled, glassed, 11 gauge magnet wire!  You recycled that out of a UFO didn't you?

Seriously where did you get it?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:01:16 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

brianc4

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
Steven,

Took me awhile to find it! It came from Swiger Coil Systems Inc. They are on the Web at swigercoil.com . The gentleman I spoke with was Bruce Gall He was very helpfull. It wasn't cheap $14.00 a Lb. I bought 10 Lbs.

MWS wire & Essex Browwnell carry it as well but They only wan't to sell 250 Lbs. at a time!

Swiger Coil also custom winds all kinds of coils including coils for wind turbines! Once I get the first stator completed I may send them the specs on the finish product & have them give me a quote on winding the complete Stator for future mills.

I have really enjoyed learning the process of winding coils for my own stator & thanks to help from Flux & others I can now do it but that doesn't mean that is where my time is best spent!

Brian Clark

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:33:10 PM by brianc4 »