Author Topic: Adjustable Solar Panel Mount  (Read 4679 times)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Adjustable Solar Panel Mount
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:52:52 PM »
I got my solar power system operational 9 months ago in September 2007, but the panels have been sitting on the ground up until now. Here is the Before picture...

So I've Assembled the pool, installed the pool solar heater, built an adjustable mount and put my panels up on top of the Shed. This is the After picture...

I made a frame for the panels out of 2x4 wood studs, painted it with outdoor Primer and screwed it together with 3 inch (75mm) screws. Then I made a separate Foundation Framework and screwed it down to the top of the shed. The last step was to connect the Panel Frame to the Foundation at the front using hinges. I can tilt the entire set of solar panels up and down for Summer & Winter settings. No kind of tracking here, just seasonal adjustment. You may notice that it is exactly big enough to hold 3 more Harbor freight panels...

The front of the shed faces directly South but my house rises fairly high just to the East of my shed. It's not a bother in the Summer and the panels are never shaded. However in the Winter the panels don't get Sun till after 11:AM in the morning so the tilt of the shed roof points the panels to more open sky in the Winter. I have the angle temporarily set using the Unpainted Woodblocks. I want to make some kind of system that will easy set it for Summer or Winter Sun angles. I haven't quite figured this part out yet. I think I'll mount with hinges, some long pieces of wood that will open up and stand the Frame up for Winter, then fold down with woodblocks on the back of that, setting it to Summer Sun. Then I'm thinking about holding it down with Bungee Cords so the wind can't flip it over.

OK ,  That's Me having too much Fun with the system posted here...

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/3/4/6303/63451

Plenty of more projects coming. Upgrade my ghurd dump controller to 2 stages for when I add more panels and the wind genny. I need to make an input/combiner for all my standard and secret power projects. I need to make a tower/mast system soon too. So many projects, so little time . . .

W o o f -={(

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:52:52 PM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Adjustable Solar Panel Mount
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »
Hi Woof,

Is the solar water circuit still on the ground?  Maybe it would be of benefit to put it on top of a flat board or metallic panel, painted black?  Something with some thermal mass, but won't loose heat to the ground...

I clicked on the link to your previous diary and saw the picture of the power pole on your street.  Ever point a fluorescent light at it?

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/magneticfield/1000819678

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:49:06 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »
Hmmmm, (grinning) love those H.F. panels! Looking at your new pics, I can see one of the power window units I just used in my panel tracking frame on yours! Looks like you could even go a step easier and use the window gear/frame/arm mechanism with it. It would have to be center mounted (hehe, when you get your next set of panels!). The hatch lift shocks on most vehicles could be mounted on each end to prevent "flipping" and such damage from high winds.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 03:14:52 PM by Jeff »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:46:34 AM »
-quote-

Is the solar water circuit still on the ground?

In the second picture you can see the Solar Pool Heater mounted onto the fence over the pool. I won't need it till September here in Alabama. When I get it running I'll post the results.

I've used it in the last location that I lived at, here is the story . . .

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/3/22/35915/3400

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 05:46:34 AM by wooferhound »