Author Topic: June (and May)  (Read 1631 times)

Capt Slog

June (and May)
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:20:59 PM »
I was going to try to complete one project a month, but I've hit setbacks.

May included a family holiday and all the preparation that that entails. This was hampered by the illness of a family member.  That this was the family CAT makes no real difference, as I'm sure I don't need to tell any pet owners, although it's sure to bring about puzzlement from non-pet owners (and those with dogs to some extent).  So, all good intentions for May went out the window.

Onto June.

Following a post on here about one's instalations being legible and easy to follow, I realised that mine perhaps wasn't.  It was neat and tidy, but bore no labeling.

Dymo in hand I set about changing this and now it's well labled but looks a bit like something out of a fairly advanced kindergarten school; eg FAN, FUSE BOX, DUMP LOAD etc.   A bit ridiculous, but I now know I could confidently give someone instructions over the phone which would be more accurate than "No, the bit under the square bit with the red leads on!....what do you mean it's all black and crispy?!"

Next, I decided to tidy up the temporary wiring that runs down the garden from the mill as it's messy and been there for a year.  I bought some PVC tubing sold as over-flow pipe, and I've run the cable through this....

It's not the best protection of cable, but it makes it easily visible and less likey to be cut with a spade. I'm a little concerned that it's not quite high enough gauge, but then I do need a line resistance near the battery so can afford a bit of cable loss instead.

The joint you see there is a take-off for a garden light.  I'm using the normal live and neutral to carry the turbine output, and the earth will be 12v, regulated and switched coming back to the light.

This is my light

It's fitted with a 50W capsule bulb, that is WAY over the top and made the system sweat a bit on it's brief hook-up.  I decided to replace it with one of those 21LED MR16 reflector bulbs, mainly because it was the same pins and an easy fit.

Unfortunately, this points upwards and doesn't give out much light; it obviously needed a reflector.  So I came up with this made of aluminium foil...

I molded it around that ball to give it that shape.  This then sits in the top of my lamp with the ball bit pointing downwards and the MR16 bulbs shines up at it which disperses the light outwards.

I was surprised at the amount of light that comes out of it.  The foil "globe" shines and looks just like a regular tungsten bulb through the frosted glass, I was pleased that something so simple worked so effectively.  I'll be looking for other places where I can work this the same way.

Thanks for sticking with it if you got this far.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:20:59 PM by (unknown) »

Capt Slog

Re: June (and May)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »
Blast!

I posted the wrong photo under "this is my light"

It should be this one.....

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/7027/lamp.jpg

I can't edit it but if an Admin passes by and feels like making the change, that would be much appreciated.  Thanks

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:31:34 AM by Capt Slog »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:38:37 AM »
What's the LED Watts on that rather fine ersatz Victorian lamp?

Labelling is good, eg if you're ill and someone has to know vaguely what's going on.

I must post on the wall a schematic and label the major cables of my system, and I'm also prepared to upgrade my controller to simplify everything somewhat and banish some of the current rat's nest.

(My lawyer wishes me to rewrite that last bit to keep the rats from suing...)

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:38:37 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

kurt

• website
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
proper photo inserted
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:44:01 AM by kurt »

Capt Slog

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:47:40 AM »
The MR16 LED bulbs are around 1 watt, a big saving compared to the 50w that was in there, and light output hasn't suffered greatly.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:47:40 AM by Capt Slog »

Capt Slog

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 09:48:34 AM »
Thanks!  :-)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:48:34 AM by Capt Slog »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 09:54:05 AM »
Wow!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:54:05 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

elvin1949

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 08:31:10 AM »
   Capt Slog

I like the light plenty bright and the Reflector was a stroke of pure genius.NICE

I am a cat person[5 cat's]know what you mean.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:31:10 AM by elvin1949 »