Author Topic: Alien PTV picture as requested  (Read 12041 times)

windstuffnow

Re: Alien PTV picture as requested
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »
CasualTraveler:  Yes it would make a little difference in energy savings and extending the range a couple miles.  I figure I'd give up a little range for looks... it will also handle a little better when I want to blow off a few watts and play... ;O)

Bruce S:  There is enough room to handle 5 inches of rear wheel movement so it shouldn't be a problem.  The chain hangs quite a ways below the pivot, there will be a chain guide on the top at the pivot incase it gets sloppy at some point and/or deceleration.   It is an option to add an idler if needed.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:03:29 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 05:44:52 PM »
CasualTraveler,

motorcycle wheels and crowned tires can not take the lateral forces that automotive wheels and tires can.

if he used a crowned tire it would only last 5k miles or so.

dan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:44:52 PM by dlenox »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 06:04:56 PM »
Good but subtle point, that.

Tom

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:04:56 PM by TomW »

ricksure

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 05:10:10 AM »
Hi Ed.

How easy is it to get a home built vehicle licenced and certified for the road?

Also do these type of vehicles require a bike licence /helmet?

Looks good!

Rick

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 05:10:10 AM by ricksure »

windstuffnow

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 07:00:55 AM »
I'm not sure exactly as I've never gone this route... From what I understand, you have it inspected by the State Police, then apply for a title from the DMV.   I hear the process takes 6 to 8 weeks.  

Anything with less than 4 wheels is registered as a motorcycle.  Licience and rules apply.  

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 07:00:55 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 11:36:27 AM »
Ed;

When I built my trike from half Oldsmobile Toronado front end and half Suzuki KZ1000 steering head we did front fork type steering and the "title" was for a modified Suzuki MC. It needed a once over by a transportation official which was mostly lights and brakes.

The trick was using enough of the crotch rocket to be modifying or rebuilding it rather than scratch built title. The frame # on the steering head from the bike was enough.

That was a long time ago.

Nobody would ride with me on it.

It was scary fast and a tad squirrelly at much over 100 mph. I probably fractured your weight distribution ratio by several factors.

Tom

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:36:27 AM by TomW »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2008, 12:44:23 PM »
Ron, you sound like you have experience with this! I certainly do not, but I am fascinated by this.

Ed, I like how the rear swingarm allows you to easily change a flat tire, and all the wheels are the same (even if the spare has to be brought to you) I have had flat motorcycles picked up to change the flat at home, not fun.

You probably already have set ideas for the body you plan on making, but I wanted to make something similar in the future, so here are some possibly fun links:

http://www.7gen.com/book/revivifying-lectra-motorcycle/cabin-scooter-design-resources-around-interne
t/23570

Dozens of home-made fairing links

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/bubbles/hpvbubbles.htm

making a home-made clear plastic bubble canopy

http://visforvoltage.org/blog/reikiman/2927

list of aerodynamics links from the web about altering car bodies

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3766&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

aerodynamics and fairings thread

There's a lot of development work going on about small series-hybrid generator-trailers to extend the range of an EV for occasional long trips. Also allows on-board battery pack to be the smallest possible for actual daily trips

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:44:23 PM by spinningmagnets »

Micheal

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »
First off I have to say WOW that kicks some real @ss!

I used to rack my brain trying to figure out a way to get a car to move with out making the powers to be rich. Say 80 mpg or a stirling engine. Maybe electric.

The fact that your building your own pretty much hits home to the fact that a person can't buy anything that does not look like a golf cart.  Sure there are Tons and Tons of 10 year cars. Ten year cars are cars that will solve the worlds problems in some minor way in ten years. Problem is after the ten years are up there are none of the promised cars for sale. Only more cars that will be ready for production in ten years.

So my plan was to come up with some killer design and make one for myself, as I was looking for hints or ideas I stumbled across this site and was blown away at the reality of high mpg cars that never ever will be sold in the USA.

My hats off to Ed wish we were neighbors.

here is that site http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2096

I am sure the site will be down soon so as to not upset people. Just a gut feeling.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 07:11:22 PM by Micheal »

windstuffnow

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2008, 05:21:37 PM »
Thanks for the links... I especially liked the one for making plastic bubbles.  

One of my requirements while designing the rear swing arm was to be able to change the wheel easily.  It took several designs and quite a few hours work to settle on the one I built.  It was quite a challenge.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 05:21:37 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

windstuffnow

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2008, 05:36:47 PM »
Thanks Michael,  I figure the only way I will get what I want is if I build it myself.  I've seen concept cars over the years that I would buy in an instant if they ever brought them to market.   The technology to achieve 60 - 80+ mpg has been around for a very long time, as with the hybrid concept ( patented in 1906 ).   It all boils down to money...

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 05:36:47 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

phil b

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
Really Nice! I can't wait to see what it will do!

It's simple, but robust.

BTW, if you come up with a set of plans, sign me up now.

Phil

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:35:56 AM by phil b »
Phil

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »
My Vortex that I built used no part of the existing motorcycle.

It was a pretty simple process (here in WV) to have a VIN # assigned to it, get title/registration/insurance.  Other states vary with difficulty.

Basically the State Police inspect it to see if it has an existing vin, if not they sign off on it. That form goes to DMV and they assign it a vin.

Next in the process is acquiring a title (pictures are required), with that you can purchase insurance, register it and get it inspected.

Insurance is through Progressive.com, home built can only get liability, and currently a full year costs me $280.

Reverse trike designs want to have minimum of 60% weight on the front tires for good stability.  I have had mine up to 100mph and it went dead straight, no shimmy or shake!

Dan Lenox

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 02:39:01 PM by dlenox »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »
Any new pics of recent developments? I really like this project!

Here's a British kit car company thats making something very similar, but smaller.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=482216&d=10399.51961

build pics of British MEV-ETrike, scroll to 18th post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpksuKRL0Rg&feature=related

video of trike speeding on circle track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r9116Ksgxg&feature=channel

video of coming to a stop

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:01:06 PM by spinningmagnets »