Author Topic: A skip dive  (Read 1265 times)

Capt Slog

A skip dive
« on: July 04, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »
Before I start, Happy Independence Day to all those on the other side of the pond.

OK.  I've found a bundle of emergency lighting in the skip.  Each unit came with the luminaire (but minus tube) and a bunch of cables going to a control box.  Inside the box is a NiCad battery pack (3 x D cell), and a boxed circuit board.

The things were made by the Emergi-lite company and this is the data sheet for the unit.....

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/94152.pdf

It appears to be a small inverter that runs from the battery pack to make 240v for the light.

So, what I'm thinking is, Can I rewire this so that when I supply it some DC current (in place of it's own battery) so that I can run a CFL at 240v AC?

At the moment, even though the battery appears to be charged, the circuit is dead in that it isn't producing any 'mains' voltage.  I'm guessing that there is some form of sensor in there which is stopping it, or that it requires the luminaire and it's ballast + starter and does things in a certain order.

Any ideas please people?  

If anyone thinks they can help, I'll arrange for some extra pictures somewhere, I didn't want to overload this post with them.

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:05:43 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: A skip dive
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 08:12:03 AM »
The first thing I would do is Google the item and see of there is a manual online.

Ron

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:12:03 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Capt Slog

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 08:48:41 AM »
Yup, I did that first.  Hence the link to the data sheet.  I think I'm getting close, but maybe need some of the other bits I left in the skip :-(

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:48:41 AM by Capt Slog »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 01:01:10 PM »
Slog;

Have you tried powering it up on mains then pulling the power off?

Might be like some UPS, won't start without AC in? If thats so then you track down the relay that does the switching and "fix" it.

Just a step i would try but I am fairly good with electrickery. Or at least comfortable fooling with it.

Tom

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:01:10 PM by TomW »

Bobbyb

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
Don't know why is dose not work, some models have error indicating led's maybe they can shed some "light" on the problem (lol).

What I do know is that florescent tubes don't work on 240V more like 60/70v. One of the 2 functions of the coil in normal fixtures is decrees voltage (the other being to start the tube).

It's very likely that the backup tube voltage will be a pulsed dc voltage much lower than 240v.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:30:22 PM by Bobbyb »

Capt Slog

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »
TomW.  Yes I tried the power up approach, I didn't even get any charge to the battery.  Perhaps I just have a bad unit, it was in the skip after all. I can see your point about the relays.  I not uncomfortable fooling around either, I also have the advantage of access to an 'earth-free' room to play in.

Bobbyb.  I hadn't considered the possibility that it might not deliver 240v, but of course you're right

@all.

I've found another diagram for a similar unit, and I'm closer to seeing what I have to do now. However, I think it will only run a tube type light, and not CFLs because it looks as if I've got to wire in the balast and the starter. I suppose "it does exactly what it says on the tin" (sorry, that maybe a UK-only reference, it's one of our commercials).

Thanks, If I get anywhere you'll be sure to know.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:10:19 AM by Capt Slog »