Author Topic: TDM Genny in progress  (Read 1155 times)

vfarrell

TDM Genny in progress
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:35:53 PM »
Well It's been awhile since I posted on this genny. made some changes along the way, but here it is as it is right now on the test pole with the Ametek 99 on it and 6 blade configuration. Tests as far as furling and balance proved better that expected, During a recent storm of apx. 40+mph winds, tower is going to be a Rohn 25 with tilt up base and guys. apx 70ft is the plan as this post.

I tried posting this here http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/7/15/141023/954 but it went poof for some reason, pictures are 640x480 and below 90kb, (mods please enlighten me so I don't make the same mistake again.)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:35:53 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: TDM Genny in progress
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 05:29:06 PM »
Vic,

Other than the butt-weld which has been commented on and lack of bracing on it it looks good. If you can get enough speed for charging with the Ametek with 6 blades you will be one of the few.

With as much investment as you will have in tower it will be beneficial for you to think of a bit more 'mill'. A 'DanBuilt' style axial or a motor conversion will proove to be less trouble and put out more energy than the Ametek.

Ron

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:29:06 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

vfarrell

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
"If you can get enough speed for charging with the Ametek with 6 blades you will be one of the few."

yeah I might want to change out the blades to a larger 3 blade configuration , Was looking for more tork.

"With as much investment as you will have in tower it will be beneficial for you to think of a bit more 'mill'. A 'DanBuilt' style axial or a motor conversion will proove to be less trouble and put out more energy than the Ametek."

I see your point, maybe I can start winding some coils this winter if time permits however I already have the tower x 2 so the investment is minimal..

Thanks for the feedback

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:07:00 PM by vfarrell »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 12:53:14 AM »
looks great...

but does it furl okay.....

looks like its mounted to close to the post....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:53:14 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 07:02:23 AM »
It's interesting that the story that you linked to that went POOF is dated July 14 2004. the story is still there but the Time/Date stamp made it disappear into the past.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:02:23 AM by wooferhound »

vfarrell

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 08:00:04 AM »
furl great ,, it have a nice balance as well, however prob won't repeat that design again and was for TDM only,,lol it set on the shelf for a long time while while other projects had to be completed were taken care of..  The guys here have a well proven design that will hold up to about anything.

Once the tower is up I'll fly this one for awhile then probably change over to a better, more robust design like the danbuilt..

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:00:04 AM by vfarrell »

vfarrell

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 08:12:09 AM »
Yes the story is still there but one or two of the posts in that thread are missing, I believe from BTH with the picture of the correct way to build the frame body, plus the newly tried to add one, No big deal as it old stuff anyway and I should have done a Diary on it if I was planning to keep it this long,,lol
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:12:09 AM by vfarrell »