Author Topic: 2008 summer progress.  (Read 8028 times)

margusten

2008 summer progress.
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:18:50 PM »
Greetings from Estonia.

This story is about making something usable from scrap.

First I made magnet rotors from old microwaves and used car disc brakes.

More than 12 microwawes needed because all magnets are not same size.

Second - I made 3 phase stator from used magnet wire. That's why all windings isn't same size (old lacquer issue). 0.6 mm wire diametre and 400 w every winding. This must give out HIGH voltage. But not, because microwawe magnets are quite weak.

This combination of almost 3 kg. free copper has complete circuit. Definetely not optimal. That's why I left all wire ends outside for future possibilities.

No need to make new mold.

Here it goes.

Next day it looks like this:

One good friend helped me with weldings. I am not so good on it.

Here it is on test stand. Of couse it's working. Only with one rotor I measured 50V maximum speed (900rpm) cordless drill and 80V two rotors connected open circuit. Cordless drill was too weak for measuring shorted circuit current, more than 1A seen.

On last picture You can see new polar mount stand on my basement roof. Temporary satellite dish installed on it for perfect aligning. In future solar panels or solar consentrator will sit on it.

But it was good for watching unusual satellites too. 90E YAMAL is most east satellite we can see. Pitch angle 1 degree, almost parallel to earth surfice. I was able to see Russian channels from Vladivastok - time difference 8 houres. Always first morning news on this channel when I went to bed.

BR,

Margus

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:18:50 PM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: 2008 summer progress.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:00:58 AM »
 A few have used doughnut magnets .It's very cool to get power from used stuff like that . It's hard to get the wire off clean and have the insulation good . I've been able to use polyurethane with some success . You can increase your  power by adding a neo in the hole the same polarity as the doughnut face . An oposite pole is present in the hole that messes with the peak charge times . Those look like between 12 and 19 mm either will do with some super glue and epoxie .
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:00:58 AM by tecker »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:03:28 AM »
I see you can add another magnet rotor as you get more materials that will increase the ouput also .
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:03:28 AM by tecker »

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:57:24 PM »
Great work margusten.

Cosidering the re-use of scrap materials, maybe you could use computer hard drive Neodymium magnets for your next attempt, as MickS did in Australia, story below.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/10/8/112046/572

Ben.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:57:24 PM by gotwind2 »

margusten

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 02:18:04 PM »
Hi,

I have more than 100 used computer hard discs waiting for disassemling and making next generator. It means more trouble than disassembling 12 microwawe owens.

Read my older diary about single phase machine using wery old computer scasi drive magnets. Definately Neodynamium magnets are much better, I noticed it when I was not able to separate this double rotor machine without tools.

This microwawe maget machine is double rotor machine too. Only pictures here taken from early stadium.

I was able to separate second magnet rotor from machine by two hands. Of course stator thichness was same, same mold used.

I had same idea to make weak microwawe magnets stronger by adding additional neodynamium magnets to ferrite magnet hole.

But I read from this forum that Neodynamium magnet can kill Ferrite magnet soon.

And I was afraid and let holes empty.

Is it true?

I hope to add some more pictures soon.

BR,

Margus

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 02:18:04 PM by margusten »

Stonebrain

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 02:59:46 PM »
Hey margussen,

Did you know wead is growing on the roof of your basement?Or is it normal?

Or do you live under the ground like rabbits do?

just kidding.

Very cool what you make of scrap.Good idea to boost the microwaveferrits with harddiskneo's.

I think that if you put them the right way(the field of the neo's reinforcing the field of the ferrits) it won't kill the ferrits.The otherway around the neos maybe kill the ferrits,but then you would have to force the neos in the ferrits.

Well,that's what I guess.Better do some tests.

Could be the most powerfull magrotor from scrap ever build!!

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 02:59:46 PM by Stonebrain »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
It won't be a problem you have to surround the magnet for a weakening you reallydon't need much just hide that pole in the middle maybe a harddrive mag or a piece of one on a 12mm ferrite button or cut washers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:28:05 PM by tecker »

blueyonder

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 05:28:40 AM »
  hello margus. i see your very clever.

i heard about using micro wave parts to make a wind gen

but i never had a old microwave to take to bits to see what useful stuff was inside

so now i know how i can build a wind gen using all scrap bits.

you must have put a lot of time and energy into your project.

and you used a brake disc as well.

its a shame the neo magnets are so expensive.

but now your playing with hard drive mags . so i will watch in the future

for a rebuilt wind gen  with hard drive mags.

you have done sum great work. thank you for sharing.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 05:28:40 AM by blueyonder »

Capt Slog

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 11:37:01 AM »
Nice work Margus.  

I don't know if you've seen this but I thought you might like it....

http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/microwave_wind_generator.htm

I think it would be well worth your time making a second rotor to face the one you already have.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:37:01 AM by Capt Slog »

margusten

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 06:48:42 AM »
Thanks for all comments!

I didn't understand really how is safe way to add neodynamium magnets.

Fill the hole in ferrite magnet with pieces of hard disc magnets in same polarity?

Aniway it working little bit better than sawblade windmill, now down in grass.

This sawblade mill had high rpm. up to 2000 in storm conditions but it killed finally a bearing holder. Less than 2 Years uptime.

Some upgrade for new generator.

But with double rotor it was too heavy and I decided to cut down from 8 meters to 6.

Now it raises easily. New pictures not taken yet.

Margus

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:48:42 AM by margusten »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:20:31 AM »
Margus, I have read if you don't have enough magnets for two magnet rotors, it is still good to have the second spinning steel rotor as a magnetic flux path. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:20:31 AM by spinningmagnets »

margusten

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
Yesterday, after 6 Years of service, it happened in strong wind.
Not even storm.
It can be new tail, too heawy ,caused it.
5 bolts broken and coils damaged.
Exatly same happened to My another home-made windgenny.
Too thin bolts used.

BR,

Margus

gww

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 12:33:37 PM »
I also took ten microwaves apart and made a six coil and dual 8 magnet rotors.  I then built a hugh piggott eight foot turbine and was buying magnets so bought some for the microwave turbine also.  I never did get it right I believe mostly due to the sealed wheel bearing being a bit stiff and I found no way to get some of the grease out.  I also made flat steel rotors as I found the steel car disc added some real lenght to the turbine and made my stator mount bolts too long, which is what looks to be what failed on yours.

I needed the tower for a 48 volt turbine and so now it is sitting on my garage floor.  If I ever build a bigger turbine I am going to salvage the magnets.  The most I ever saw out of mine was a couple hundred watts that never lasted that long due to bearing and being in a pretty seltered spot.  I actually had no issues with using the wire.  I just unwound it then rewound it and ended up with no shorts.  like you there were some bumps in the wire coating so my coils weren't quite as pretty as bought wire but worked just as well.  I did go through a couple of cutting wheels while salvaging it.

6 years and some learning sounds pretty good.  I threw out all the aluminum coils from the microwaves that had them but still go enough out of ten microwaves to wind six coils.  I just mention the aluminum incase some one else trys it so they know all microwaves don't always have copper.  I do know also that winding for ferrit magnets and then adding neo doesn't work that well unless the neos are planed for.  With neos you need less copper.  Mine never worked that well with the neos although I was getting close by rectifieing each coil seperatly. 
Thanks for the update and sorry you didn't get more then six years.
gww

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
i hope you will rebuild your machine Margusten

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 01:22:41 AM »
Sorry to see the damage.  Building a replacement can be as fun as building the first - you can challenge yourself to do it better!

The stator undergoes a considerable amount of torque when running at high load.  Long all-thread bolts are not ideal for this.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca