Author Topic: VAWT blade design  (Read 6129 times)

(unknown)

VAWT blade design
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
Inspired from the Lenz design and the recent posting on the web of vanes diverting wind into the blades of a VAWT. The shape is like an airplane wing with one side removed and the remaining side lower to divert the wind into the aerodynamic scoop at the front of the blade.  The photo shows possible construction techniques using plywood and aluminum held together using narrow crown staples for a pneumatic staple gun.  Thanks in advance for any input.    

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:55:00 PM by (unknown) »

windstuffnow

Re: VAWT blade design
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »
Nice job.  Very similar to an earlier design I posted back in 2003.

Have you made up a full set of wings for testing?  If you have access to a lazor cutter you can have the wing ribs cut out in wood then simpy attatch the metal parts.  

Let us know how it comes out.  

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 08:48:03 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Stonebrain

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »
Good start,

I suppose the downside of the foto is the inside of the rotor?

I guess a round nose may give better overall result then a sharp nose given the fact that angle of attac is very variable in the case of a vawt.

But this is just my vision that is more kind of intuitive than a scientific fact.

Just make it fly and then you'll see.

...if you want to.

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:22:44 PM by Stonebrain »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 06:33:07 PM »
Hi, I am currently shopping for a CNC router table.  I am not that proficient with a band saw.  I am moving forward with a set of three, 25 inches in length just to see how it well perform. Is your posting still available for viewing?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:33:07 PM by KilroyOdin »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »
Hi, I made a few drag designs and they all performed better then any of my wing lift attempts. I am hoping that this design will function as a drag lift hybrid.  I am thinking that the diversion plane will function like a sail when perpendicular to the wind and divert the wind into scoop throughout most of the cycle.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:47:58 PM by KilroyOdin »

windstuffnow

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 07:19:54 PM »
  I took the files off the page in early 2005 or there about but AIDG put a bunch of my pages in pdf format and the renderings are still shown there.  Here is a link to the page showing the renderings... just click on the "download" to view the pdf

http://www.aidg.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=34&func=fileinfo&parent=categ
ory&filecatid=58

I built and tested a few different variations of blades before I settled on the ones that are shown today.  

I think your design has some potential, there may be some wrinkles to smooth out along the way but as with any design it takes time and usually several models to refine it.  

Let me know how it works out... When time allows I may play with the idea some more and put them in the wind tunnel to compare them with some others.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:19:54 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed