Author Topic: 14-11 project underway.  (Read 3449 times)

Jerry

14-11 project underway.
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:53:31 AM »
Well at least the planing stages. I've been collecting parts and talking about this project for over a year or so.

This wind generator will be a dual rotor with 12" discs, 14 Lowes 1-7/8"X7/8"X3/8" ceramic magnets.

Reason for the cheap weak magnets is incase this thing is a total flop.

I had built a smaller version a couple years ago and it worked quite well.

At least long enough to do a truck mounted wind test. Befor I had a chance to tower mount that one a customer talked me out of that one for his 8ft watter wheel hydro project.

It was smaller then this one with 10" discs, 12 same Lowes magnets per disc and the standard 9 coils (Jerry Rigged).

I've had a chance to start construction. I've started the stator for the 11 coils of 24 ga. / 300 turns each and the .25"X12" steel magnet discs.

Here a couple pictures of whats done so far.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:53:31 AM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: 14-11 project underway.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 02:14:44 AM »
whats the set up on the coils--each with its own rect. ??

2&2 or 3&3??wont there be a lone coil on its own??

cant be a single phase set up??hmmm........

or did i miss one of your posts??
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:14:44 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:26:23 PM »
Hi hiker.

Well actuly this system is 11 single phase power supplys. The wire ga. is small and the turns count is very high. The magnetic flux is weak using ceramics. THats another reason for the high turns count.

Yes each coil has its own fullwave bridge diode. This eliminates any slight diferances between coil. No heat producing friction here.

Each coil Produces charging voltage. So basicly each coil = its own fullwave bridge rectifier and is a small battery charger independant of the other 10 (11 total).

If each littel charger produces 1 amp then when all 11 are added together (dc output of each) the total sum is 11 amps.

Each coil see,s a steady flow of N,S,N,S magnets pasing by. Thene it produces power.

This is what we do when testing one coil to find turns count, rpm , voltage and other info when designing a dual rotor wind generator from scratch.

I simply make this coil with high enough turns to produce cutin voltage by its self.

The coil count then is not an isue, only physical room and magnet orentaion over the coil and its leggs.

Think of it this way. So I go to Wallmart and buy a 1 amp tricle charger. I find that I need more amperage. So I go back to Wallmart and buy 10 more. Then I hook all 11 up to the same battery. Now I'mm charging at 11 amps.

I could use 1, 2 , 7,20 or how ever many chargers I wanted. They do not interfear or bother each other. The total count only effects the amount of charging power available.

So with Jerry Rigging of this type the only restrictions are more phisical then electrical and the magnets must be even #s of N & S not so with coil count. Coil count can be what ever fits.

I'm convinced that the great thirmal demize (burnt coils) of the star alts is the wiring of coils out of phase in sires then connecting them to the same load.

I think of star this way. Take 3 cars chain them together side by side. First car is going 30 mph, 2nd car is going 20 mph, 3rd car is going 10 mph. Something is going to have give.

In car audio we deal with woofers. These days woofers come in single, dual and quad (4) voice coils.

These coils are actully wound on the same bobin or VC form. Its like winding a coil with 2 wires-in hand.

If you aply a dc voltage to just one coil depending on the DC polarity, the speaker cone will either move in or out.

The same is true of the other interwound Vioce coil.

If you wire these 2 interwound coils oposit or out of phase with applied power they will try to go oposit direction. The end reult is burnt coils.

This situations is 180 degrees out of phase. With star conection its 120 degrees out phase but still enough to cause a diferance that energy builds on these coils that for 1/3rd of the time are oposing each other at 120 degrees.

This is why my 400 watt 8" survived 1600 watts or more for 4 HRs plus without burn out.

I've been told it was do to the cooling effect of the high wind.

I ask this question then Why are the star wired units burning out in same high winds with the same  cooling benefits.

Sorry for the highly motovated explanation but all I can say is I aint done yet.

The wind tunnle is still in the works.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:26:23 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:38:24 PM »
1 more thought hiker. My feelings on star.

How would you feel if you have 2 perfectly good 12 batteries full charged then wired them in sires and the voltage came to 20.4 volts. Thats star. Jerry rigged or in phase the voltage would be 24.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:38:24 PM by Jerry »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:34:28 PM »
thanks jerry--ile add my thoughts -after a few others jump in here......
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:34:28 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:37:12 PM »
 I see this in gensets I have in place . The individual coils after they pass cut voltage check themselves from over producing amperage and have good load handling because  they begin to just bump the rotor along . It looks like no internal log jam in the statorand the coils  work fluidly with the bridge.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:37:12 PM by tecker »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 04:53:02 PM »
I would like it if ALL your posts were longer or "highly motovated".

Sometimes I just don't get what you are trying to tell us.

This one I get 100%.

G-

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:53:02 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 07:33:10 PM »
Thanks G.  Time is a hinderance most of the time.

I'm hopeing to get the larger wind tunnel going here soon. This will be great for testing.

The blower system is done. Now building the tunnel itself is the next step.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:33:10 PM by Jerry »

hiker

• BIG DOG
stator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 11:12:04 PM »
hey jerry i like your idea about each coil with its own rect..

would this  work as well--with rects for each coil?

not sure of the number of mags or coils to use..

NOT 3 phase as in the pict...

and maybe just one metal disk-to wrap the coils on..[steel strapping tape-anneled]..

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:12:04 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: stator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 08:09:07 AM »
I was going to run a test on your tourus sandwich idea with 1/4 inch nylon tube filled with filings you should be able to see the flux orientation as the mags pass and the reluctance remaining . Also evident will be the pole orientation of your seperator I think the best plan is to use a good coat of paint instead of a wood layers.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:09:07 AM by tecker »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »
Jerry;

I will be following this post with great interest.

I had upwards of 200 of those ceramic mags given to me as trash, and believe this will work out well for them.

Thanks

Bruce S

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:24:21 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Jerry

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 08:16:23 PM »
Cool Bruce.

I'll try to keep the data and updates + pictures coming.

I've cast a total of 3 stators or I should say glued the fiberglass sheetss together.

I've got 1 stator thats 5/15" thick and 2 that are 3/8" thick.

I'm concidering witch stator thickness to try the iron coil center with?

I'm leaning towards the 3/8" cince I have 2 that thickness.

If the iron center dosen't cog to bad I'll use 20 ga. wire with fewer turns rather then 24ga. in that stator. If it coggs bad I'll junk the idea.

I fugured if the cogging is marginal the unit will have higher output then the air core version. Both the slight cogging(hope) and the higher output, lower rpm requierment can take addvantage of a larger diamter blade.

The progrees can get slow and get set backs with my schedual. So hang in there.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:16:23 PM by Jerry »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 03:09:31 AM »
Jerry

You asked me about coils for this in another post. I didn't forget but this is far removed from anything I have done so I really can't help a lot.

From what I have been able to do I think you could start with coils of about 300 turns and keep the stator 1/2" thick. That should give you room to use about #20 wire. You can check the voltage of the test coil and change the turns to suit. Having settled turns for your cut in speed then use the biggest wire that will go in the space.

You know better than I do what cut in speed suits your blades but I was basing it on something over 300 rpm.

Sorry I can't help more but I will follow progress and if I can offer more help I will.

I built something with slightly smaller ceramic magnets a few years ago with a 5ft prop and it worked reasonably so you should get something useful.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:09:31 AM by Flux »

jlt

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 06:52:54 AM »
Hi Jerry looks like int rusting  project. it could be easy way to make 12-24-48 volt alt, but you would have to use 12 coils.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:52:54 AM by jlt »

RobC

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 08:39:06 PM »
Hi Jerry

I'm sure glad to see you back and making waves on the board. Keep it coming. RobC
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 08:39:06 PM by RobC »

Jerry

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 09:46:07 PM »
Hi RobC.

I very glad to hear from you. A couple months back I posted a ? for you. Didn't hear back.

I took a trip to see my son in Fort Collins. He lives and works there now. That also just happens to be OPs HQ town so my son and I took a trip out to see DanB.

I wanted to stop by and visit with you in Idaho. Sorry I missed you.

Maybe we'll see you on the next trip?

Sure a bunch more comercial wind gennies in Idaho then 4 years ago.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:46:07 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 09:51:40 PM »
OK some progres today. Cut the holes in the stator forms. One for the coils and one for the iron core center test.

Also gluded the magnet templates to the magnet dics. I will try to glue the magnets tommorow.

Maybe a couple pictures tommorow? I might sift out some iron dust. Might even mix it with some reson and pure that into the stator form? Time will tell?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:51:40 PM by Jerry »