Author Topic: Starting New VAWT project  (Read 2118 times)

(unknown)

Starting New VAWT project
« on: November 16, 2008, 01:53:56 PM »
Starting new project. Plan on using three single phase generators to achieve 3 phase power. Generators will be driven by new VAWT blade design.  I have 5 closed cell 12 volt batteries that will used for charging test. Voltage regulator will have relay to divert charge to dump load after full charge of the batteries is reached. The reason for construction of single phase generators is because of size limitations involving spacing of magnets and coils within the cylinder used for fabrication of generator housing    

During testing eddy current problem was resolved by placing a long spacer on center shaft shifting metal plate to center region of the central shaft.  If eddy problem appears after actual implementation it will easy enough to alter generators to dual magnet plate design.      
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:53:56 PM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Starting New VAWT project
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:21:26 PM »
just like a car alt..3 single phases..but not wave wound i take it..

what size of wire and # of turns? nice little alt--what kind of

power do you expect out of it?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:21:26 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

KilroyOdin

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »
There in lays the problem, I learned all about using electricity but have very little knowledge in the creation of electricity. I found a web site  http://www.6pie.com/faradayslaw.php  that explains the basics so I could understand them. But to be honest the size of the housing will only accommodate so much wire and magnets, for me it really comes down to following the basics on placing the magnets in relationship to coil placement and taking a measurement.  Some of projects shown at this site are so large I would never attempt to build and local government would never allow installation.   I plan on using a 5 amp wire for coil fabrication and hope the accumulative affect of three small turbine will provide usable current for charging the battery bank, if not the turbine are easy to fabricate and I can always add more. Using the circuit found at http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/9/20/0406/27488  for voltage regulator should provide a functioning regulator for each turbine and I believe I have all the parts.  Thanks for the interest and I hope to have more usable information soon.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:49:32 PM by KilroyOdin »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:53:46 PM »
Not sure that is a reasonably functioning regulator.

It operates with the same idea as the Oatley.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/11/8/63523/3798

G-
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 05:53:46 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller