Author Topic: Garbogen Spinning!  (Read 2473 times)

RogerAS

Garbogen Spinning!
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »
Well, the saga of the stiff turning garbogen is ending as it is back on its test pole and set with rectifiers.

As opposed to the Murphy's law of turbines we are having a great wind day here in Arkansas and the turbine is spinning like a durbish! I don't have a ammeter connected yet but the main house volt meter is bouncing upwards with every good gust. Something I have never seen before.

I cannot describe how good it feels to see this happen. My mini turbines are all about to come down and the 2 ECM's are about to be rewired into the configuration Jerry suggests to improve the amps out.

Most surprising to me is the silence from the garbogen. The blades make a small whir, but the turbine itself is nearly silent. Now I have to get busy with my crank up tower and attempt to get up over some of the forest induced turbulence.

Power from the wind is a wonderful thing.

Thanks Jerry!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 08:26:12 PM by (unknown) »

pepa

Re: Garbogen Spinning!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:09:26 PM »
     hi Rodger, i am glad you have a source for more power. i am working on a garbogtn myself, that jerry is a very good guy. i have several ECM motors from washing machines and hope you will make a post, with pictures, on how you rework them so i can follow it. thanks pepa.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:09:26 PM by pepa »

RogerAS

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 03:18:14 PM »
Hey Pepa,

I will make a point of recording the progress on the ECM rewiring.

I didn't know there was a washing machine motor that was an ECM. What brand?

Anyway, it's nice to get power of a measurable amount, as opposed to the stepper motors.:-)

Take care my friend,

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:18:14 PM by RogerAS »

pepa

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
     i dont know the brand of washing machine, a frend that works at a recicle center, saves them for me. thinks my good frend. pepa
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:38:00 PM by pepa »

FishbonzWV

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »
Glad to hear you got it back.

What mods did Jerry do to it?

Bearings? Air holes? Mag offset?

After the pictures of your rust, I installed a rain cover on my latest.

Fishbonz
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:31:59 PM by FishbonzWV »
"Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion"
H.F.Fisher 1925-2007

RogerAS

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43:58 AM »
Hey Fish,

I'm not exactly sure what all Jerry did, but in an email exchange he told me he replaced the bell ends that contain/hold the bearings and a few other things. One obvious change is the front bearing plate is now a plumbing flange with a PVC thread-in coupling over the motor shaft. I slid the blade hub up real close to this. He wrapped the housing in that super aluminum tape and placed a drain hole to release any trapped water from penetration or condensation.

I am going to run a bead of silicone, high temp red, around the bell ends where they join the motor housing in a few days when I finally get ready to raise my crank-up tower. I may also cover the bolt heads with a dab of sealer. I also plan on a shroud to keep direct exposure to the rain to a minimum. I feel the water issue is now in the past. I also need to make a nice heat sink (which I have salvaged from a huge old Curtis-Mathis console TV) and mount for the rectifiers. I can't find any nice flexible 4 conductor wire to bring the AC down the tower, so I'm going to have to rectify up on the tower. I;m a little afraid to use something like 4 conductor nomex becauseit's so stiff, but maybe I shouldn't be. Robust over-rated diodes should handle this, but I'm a little concerned with loses in the 50' run, from the bottom of the tower, to the batteries. Maybe it isn't an issue, but when all the wire run is added together the line losses in a 12V system starts to add up.

Yesterday afternoon and into the night we had some serious gusts, the trees were whipping and roaring, and when I awoke this morning my batteries were at a nice 13.7V. Normally we go down to around 12.8V overnight.

Hopefully Jerry will see this and respond himself. All I know is the alternator spins much more freely, and I am getting something actually useful out of the crappy wind site I have for the first time ever.

I'm a happy camper! I will post picts in a new diary entry when things are getting a little more finalized.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 11:43:58 AM by RogerAS »

Jerry

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »
Hi Roger AS.

Glade to hear the Garbogen is back in the air and making power. When you get the gen above those peski trees and in some clean air you should see a great improvement in power harvesting.

A may have missed it but what will be your tower hight?

There is a flexable 6 wire cable at the auto parts store. I think you can get it in 14 ga. X 6. Its for trailer light wiring. It looks like a heavy black extension cord.

You could perelell 2 pair of the 14ga. That will be equal to 11 ga.. Use this for the run windings. The runs do the big amperage. Then use the 2 remaining 14 ga. for the starts.

I use a pair of 10 ga. for the runs and a pair of 12 ga. for the starts on my 40 ft tower. I have a rectifier box at the base of the tower. I'm fortunet to be in the car audio biz.

The wire is hi-strand car audio power cable. Very flexable and made for harsh inviorment. I've used this stuff up to 8ga. and I've never had a twist problem. I've never had to untwist any of my 21 wind gennies.

Do you have some pictures? I would like to see your setup.

I just picked up a 1/2 hp ECM. May do some high voltage expiriments with that one.

I'm going to see how it works making 120 volts for my E-truck? More on that project latter.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:12:33 PM by Jerry »