Author Topic: VAWT dream became a reality  (Read 1622 times)

randy727

VAWT dream became a reality
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:50:05 PM »
Years ago I had a dream (Great Idea) of a VAWT.  I bought an old windmill tower and all the material to make my idea come to life but got sidetracked. (medical problems) I created a website to share some of my ideas (www.randysworkshop.com) and managed to get some people interested. Luc Haegeman of Belgium has made my dream a reality.  Please check out his youtube video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXezZvMMT28  The first time I saw it I cried. My wife could not understand my emotions.  She said wouldn't have been better if I build it.  Well, yes, but I am more than happy just to see it work.

Randy B.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:50:05 PM by (unknown) »

CmeBREW

Re: VAWT dream became a reality
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »
Congrats Randy,

That is a very interesting design. I like it. It surprised me to see it run so fast. From the video, it appears to me to be running faster and stronger (torque) than ALL the commercial (exaggerated output) Vawts I have seen videos of.

I see the dog walking there, so I know the video is not sped up, but the real speed.  For that bigger diameter, that is much faster than any of the vawts I have ever made-- and yours would clearly have more torque due to the turned return side.  With it being so out of balance though due to the turning blades, I wonder how it don't vibrate horribly?  

Hope you can hook an alternator to it soon and tell us the output. Looks Very promising.

Ever think about putting stirofoam aerofoil shapes over those blades there and cover with thin aluminum sheet?  The drag should go down considerably around the blades as they are turning and speed go up even more.

I believe I have seen ALL the (so-called) Vawt videos on youtube (and everywhere else)  and most are turning slow or not at all or are video simulations (which are just fantacy).     Yours is real and probably the fastest I have ever seen.

-Thanks for sharing your design.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:13:55 PM by CmeBREW »

MattM

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:37:47 PM »
What's the broken t-bar tool?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:37:47 PM by MattM »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:17:45 AM »
Matt, the "broken t-bar" tool is what he is hooking his torque wrench to for measuring the torque output. Take a look again at the begining of the video and you can see the t-bar at the bottom of the vawt and the wrench hooked up to it.

Pretty good torque to be able to bend that steel.

Nice work Randy!!!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:17:45 AM by zap »