Author Topic: The Energizer Frog  (Read 1851 times)

(unknown)

The Energizer Frog
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »
Hi everyone.

I put together a 1/2 hp garbogen. Hobart was on the name tag of the garbage disposal. It has copper start windings and AL runs. To be brief, it puts 3.5a into a 13.1v boat batteries in a 12mph wind. Cut in is around 300rpm.

I have a TS45 controller and am dumping to resistors. I ran a idea threw a friend and he agreed it could easily be done. I ran a LED trailer marker light off the dump load positive and negative and installed the light on the front of my 12x20 barn. Now from the house at 125 feet away I can keep an eye on the status of my batteries and I can see when Hobart is pumping some amps. The video shows the lights coming on when Hobart was raising the batteries from 13.1v to 14.4v during a 12mph gust of wind.

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm249/Southbuck7/?action=view&current=MVI_0166.flv

I'm a novice at producing electricity, but this light system works great.

I have the HF 45w panels in addition to the windmill. With no wind, the solar panels turn on the dump light as soon as batteries reach 14.4v. It has a nice glow.

So, I know when the batteries are full (and Im dumping power) and its fun to watch the windmill pump out enough amps to raise battery voltage to dumping stage.

I have this barn set up with RE as its only source of power. 2 -125ah marine batteries, 1800w max inverter and I wired the barn with outlets threw out so I plug the barn wiring into inverter and use all my hand power (110v)tools wherever convenient in the barn.

Ive been collecting videos over the last year of my efforts, I uploaded photos of building the garbogen to my profile.

Thanks to everyone providing such useful information on this board.

Special THANK YOU to Glen and his hours worth of time replying to my questions.

Here's my photobucket with a few videos if interested.

http://photobucket.com/southbuck7

Fused

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:31:23 PM by (unknown) »

Fused

Re: The Energizer Frog
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:17:33 AM »

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:17:33 AM by Fused »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »
Hmmm Looking at your photo bucket site.... you have been having far too much fun over there...

.......oztules

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 06:20:26 PM by oztules »
Flinders Island Australia

Fused

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:38:02 AM »
Not only fun but addictive.

:)

Fused

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:38:02 AM by Fused »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »
I like a simple light.

It covers most of what I want to know.

Batteries are full or nearly full, and extra power is being dumped.

Or not!

G-

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:16:07 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

mudd

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »
 so which set of blades did you like best? and i love the light. its just pure and simple. i wonder about the first time that it started to dump was it a nice surprize or did you expect it anyway? thanks MUDD
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:43:17 PM by mudd »

Fused

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »
Hi MUDD

I made those blades while I was attempting to make a gm alternator hit cut in. I tried different lengths and angle of blades but I was not pleased with any of them. This garbogen has very little resistance and matching a blade to it was easy, only 3 sets before I was pleased. Ive enjoyed making blades to see their different performance. I got a little carried away.

The light was expected to come on whenever the controller sends voltage to power resistors. I was happy to see it go from turning on dim to getting bright as wind increased and the genny was putting all amps to dump.

Thanks

Fused

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:47:51 PM by Fused »