Author Topic: Monitoring GB grid carbon-intensity in real time  (Read 8254 times)

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
Re: Dissent from the Royal Box!
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2009, 08:13:51 AM »
There are valid points to both sides, although the one that stands out for me seems to be that it still takes a given amount of whatever to produce a given amount of electricity.

If the source is more nuclear at one point in time while being more coal at another, then depending on exactly how you define 'green', the answer could be yes or no.

If one only refers to carbon emissions, then yes, using the power when nuclear has a higher standing would be 'greener'.

However referring to overall impact, I would have to say no. You still have to use the nuclear fuel, and ultimately must dispose of it somewhere.

Until RE takes a much stronger hold, this line will remain a rather blurry definition, and will provide hour upon hour of heated debate, I'm sure.

The only way to get greener in the latter of the above, is to reduce (and eventually eliminate) "stored" energy (ie. fossil, nuclear).

We will have to wait and see, I suppose...

Steve

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:13:51 AM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Dissent from the Royal Box!
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 12:23:23 PM »
I still think that the 'reduced infrastructure' and 'avoiding going via storage' and 'avoiding inefficient peaking plants' arguments are winners, even if not the most obvious ones!

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:23:23 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social