Author Topic: Two steps forward  (Read 880 times)

kihon

Two steps forward
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:51:05 PM »
Well managed to cast a stator, using 79 turns of 24 swg. Unfortunately the resin mix was not right, and the casting had not set fully even after a week. I think the catalyst did not get mixed in enough before pouring.

But it has given me the chance to try out some different coils.  My initial coils were wound around a trapezoid which on second thoughts is a little bit too big. So I created a new former which is roughly the size of the magnet.

Using this I was able to fit a 180 turn coil in the space I had a 79 turn coil before again using 24 swg, but I was also able to fit an 80 turn coil made from 22 swg as well.

With the 180 turns I was getting 2v spinning by hand - about 270 rpm, and 4.5v using a drill at 540 rpm.

With the 80 turns 22 swg I was getting about about 3v at 540 rpm.

Based on some calculations I estimate that to get 50watts usable power, with the 180 turn coils I would be wasting about 220 watts in heat due to resistance, and only 64watts in the 80 turn 22swg coils.

Next step is to make 8 more of the 22swg coils and try and make the second stator.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:51:05 PM by (unknown) »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
Re: Two steps forward
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:05:46 AM »
Hi,

what is the size of your wind rotor?

How fast can you get it running?

- hv

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:05:46 AM by hvirtane »

kihon

Re: Two steps forward
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:21:54 AM »
At the moment I have one which is about 3' Diameter, but I can make one for what ever size is suitable based on the alternator. Unfortunately, at the moment, the main thing which is limited is the magnets. I cannot change them, so I need to tailor everything else based on those.

Since I assembled the two rotor plates I have not had a decent day of wind :( The only time I did, was when I had dismantled them to do some testing with the stator, and when I got around to reassembling them, the wind died again :-/. Will try and get a speed check asap.

Kihon

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:21:54 AM by kihon »