Author Topic: The charge counting controller is up and running  (Read 1475 times)

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
The charge counting controller is up and running
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:55:13 AM »
Typical that the wind should die just as I want to test something. We'd had 40km/hr plus winds all morning averaging some 500 watts out with peaks over 1400watts on the 3m mill here and I was busy debugging the controller software.

The secret to the controller is two Dallas 1-wire chips, the DS2438 battery monitor chip and the DS2413 GPIO chip. The latter is a 2 channel device and I'm using it to emulate the remote control that came with my inverter. This remote is a push button with an LED on it at the end of 10m of phone wire that has an RJ11 connector that plugs into the inverter. One press and the LED comes on to indicate the inverter is running, a second press stops it and the LED goes out.

My emulated button uses one channel of the GPIO chip to operate a relay to simulate the button press and then the LED output goes to an opto isolator chip so I can read the state of the LED on the other GPIO channel and make sure I know whether the inverter turned on or off. It works well and means I can retry under software control if a 'button press' doesn't work.

Just got to tidy up some of the wiring after fitting a new fuse holder (I blew a 50amp fuse on the battery bank trying out the domestic water pump on the inverter) and fixing the PCBs into the controller box with some hot melt glue.

I can now control at what point I dump power from the battery bank to the swimming pool pumps (the design aim from 18 months ago) using either voltage and/or charge counting measured with the battery monitor chip (whichever comes first!!) to determine the state of charge of the batteries.

Final part will be making a house over the batteries to stop the pigs chewing on the cables - they do seem to like plastic!!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:55:13 AM by (unknown) »
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
Re: The charge counting controller is up ...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:09:59 PM »
Spoke too soon - the 3kw inverter died this morning...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:09:59 PM by frackers »

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
Re: The charge counting controller is up ...
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 05:19:36 AM »
Looks like I'm shopping for a pair of irfp450 hexfets as one leg of the bridge output stage is short circuit.

There are 12 DC-DC converter sections in this inverter, the ground return wires for 8 of them (4 VERY thick cables) fell out of the crimp connector as I disassembled the case - not likely to have improved its performance I think!! What do you think? I've just dangled the connector off one of the wires here.

The irfp450, with a rating of 14amps is being run right on its limit - 2 in each bridge section providing 28 amps peak current and a so called peak power of 6000w at 230volts out gives me a value of 26amps. I shall be digging about at work tomorrow to find something rated at 20 amps minimum and change all 8 of them.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:19:36 AM by frackers »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: The charge controller is up and running
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:13 AM »
Looks like the ring on the Terminal was too big for the Crimp Tool. I always pull the wires with some force after I've crimped them to the terminal connector. You may be able to force all the wires back in there and use the same tool to crimp it, but crimp it from several similar angles and make a large U shaped crimp. When I can I try to use terminal strips that screw down onto the wires.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:22:13 AM by wooferhound »

Nothing40

Re: The charge counting controller is up and...
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »
I would try to re-crimp it,and then solder it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:57:30 PM by Nothing40 »

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
Re: The charge counting controller is up and...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:38:23 AM »
Done - one guy at work had access to the proper crimp tool (adjustable jaws and handles near 2 feet long!!) and tonight I've soldered all 4 crimp lugs inside the inverter.

Another guy at work had some sample MOSFETs that unfortunately were only rated to 34amps compared to the original 14amps (tee hee) - 500v rated and now discontinued as they only make the 600v ones now so a full set of 8 pulled out of the tube of 25 and a third guy was bored and fancied a change so spent half an hour with a heat gun changing out the old and putting in the new.

Should now be able to handle 15kw peak (not really but it will last longer this time!).

Too dark by the time I'd blowtorched the lugs to reinstall on the battery bank so maybe in the morning - the inverter all fires up on the bench PSU anyway.

Keeping fingers crossed that I'm now out of the woods...

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:38:23 AM by frackers »