Logged in users > User Diaries

2HP Motor conversion Finished and flying

(1/4) > >>

ruddycrazy:
Hiya guys,

Well finally I got the 2hp conversion finished and up and flying.Rather than go the skewed method I went with the offset method not only to save on the amount of magnets to use but increase the sq/inch of mags in the rotor. Using 8off 2x1x1/2 N45 epoxy(painted)neo's with the countersunk hole in the centre I ended up with 8sq/inchs of mags on the new rotor. Many thanks to Dinges who did the design work for the mag spacing and although I was pretty peeved off when I found it cogged slightly I've found my 3 metre bladeset overcomes the cogging no worries.
The rotor in place in the motor

The output shaft on the new rotor I machined to 24mm and used a dual taperlock to secure the bladeset to the shaft
The taperlock

The taperlock all tightened on the shaft, although this dual taperlock can hold over 25hp for added safety I used a washer and setscrew incase the blades decide to want to walk off the shaft

A Rear veiw of the genny

A front veiw of the genny

The blades do start with just a breath of wind and the best I saw was 10 VAC and I just just about count the turns the blades were doing. When I lathe tested the motor the best I could get out of my 1/2hp 3 phase toolroom lathe was about 140 rpm and the output was @29.5 volts about 9.5 amps. I used 2 heavyduty auto batteries for my test where 1 battery was near dead but the otherone was fine.
Well hopefully this genny will perform for me but time will tell.
Cheers Bryan

tecker:
 Weight to over come the cog works for the most part if your in good wind . It will sing a little under load but will start making power right away . Post the numbers under load and what the combo does at furl .Nice project

FishbonzWV:
Hello Bryan,

Good to see you got it in the air with no Vaseline on it. ;-}

Is that delta, wye, or parallel hook up?

Hope it performs well for you.

Bonz

wpowokal:
Bryan, have you changed you ISP 'e' mails don't get through, wondering about the seeds. Seems like a good little runner you have made there.
allan down under

oztules:
Good to see this up in the air Bryan, will be interested to see how it performs when the real wind finally turns up.
Obviously the cogging is not an issue, as it seems to start up in winds it can't even get up to charging voltage in..... so it would appear the cogging is not an issue at all.... grins all round.
Well done and looks good too. Hope it performs well for you.
........oztules

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version