Logged in users > User Diaries

2HP Motor conversion Finished and flying

<< < (4/4)

ruddycrazy:
G'day Guy's,
                    Well the low pressure system going our area was this motor conversion really shined as it busted that 50 amp guage I got on ebay so took the sg meter up to test the shed batteries and 2.6 is just about charged. Then as I was looking at the analogue amp I still had and it dropped to nothing then I saw the tail flying thru the air ( did need to fix that). Anyway waited for a lull and fixed the tail and guess what the wind died down so that Murphy guy proves the fact raise a wind tower and the wind will fail. Anyway got a bit of tig welding done to use some power. With the weather front on the way may even get a pic of snow, but eh my farm is in the Adelaide Hills NOT in the snow fields.

Well when the doesn't shine this ol' motor conversion just keeps going and I do need to get the beast going but with 100 metre run of welding size cable just to get to the shearing shed then another 75 meters to the house array may need to check some clearing sales.

Cheers Bryan

ruddycrazy:
Well got home this evening after going upto the Clare valley today and looked up at the wind genny  :'( :'( :'( going wobble wobble with only 2 blades. :'( :'( :'(.

So duly got the tower down as we are execting some high winds and it was windy when lowering with the blades still spinning.

So 8 years out of set of old Oregon fence posts wasn't a bad run me thinks.

Anyway I do have a 2 metre blade sitting in the shed so I'll take out the conlock and fit it to the 2 metre blades and see how it performs.

Cheers Bryan

SparWeb:
Oh dear - sorry to hear about that.
Any sign of where the shed blade went off to?

ruddycrazy:

--- Quote from: SparWeb on November 29, 2017, 04:28:49 PM ---Oh dear - sorry to hear about that.
Any sign of where the shed blade went off to?

--- End quote ---

I found the blade on the other side of the fence about 20 metres away, it does look like the side broke away where a retaining bolt was and with the other it had torn out where the hole in the wood was. O'well considering I only paid $8 each for the oregon posts they did have a good run.

Cheers Bryan

ruddycrazy:
G'day Guy's,
                   Well got the F&P setup I did many years ago along with those 2 metre blades I made. Using a corolla tailshaft flange along with a 1/4" plate welded to makes for an easy setup for mounting the blades. I found in the pile a rewired one and thought yea thats the one I was using. Only to find out 2 weeks later when the blades were finally turning when I got home from work. So went upto the shed and put my Fluke 865 Scope meter on only to find with the blades spinning around 300 rpm only 8 volts AC.  :( . Then the memory kicked in and I found that old 100 series stator thats untouched and just wired up in delta and that one was the one I used with the caps in series and got a nice boost in the current.

The 2hp motor conversion is going to get a rewire and I'll cram as much 1mm in as I can and make a new set of 3 metre blades and even think about moving to the house array. Which will mean a nice long wire run and be the first genny in the new site and when funds allow the 'beast' 4Kw motor conversion with 88 16x13mm N50 grade neo's will finally go up.

I don't really need a wind genny on the shed array now as with my 16hp listeriod with a 5KW ST head along with a 40 amp forklift charger running on vege oil can charge the batteries nicely with no costs involved.

It has proven handy as after my ol' Lincoln caddy welder went out in fashion throwing 1 metre blue sparks and the 5Kw genset blowing a nice hole in the secondary. Now my new Lincoln 131i caddy welder will let me use the 3Kw inverter to arc weld also tig weld after a hard days work running the 16hp for a couple of hours gets the 735Ah traction battery back to fully charged.

With a storm due over night and high winds expected I'll have that bank of caps ready to redo what I did so many years ago.

I do know 2 metre blades are a tad small and it will be interesting to see how they handle the high winds and current produced.

Still got that huge redgum branch out back and 10 years of seasoning should be right, just gotta make a jig for the chainsaw to cut some planks and another jig to cut the blades as there's no easy way to cut seasoned redgum and I do reckon they will make an awesum set of blades.

Wind generation to me now is purely fun and teaching younger people from the local area can keep the dream going. Wind generation and motor conversions.

Cheers Bryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version