Author Topic: how not to get [expletive deleted] when purchasing NiFe cells  (Read 1076 times)

shay

I've placed this here to warn otherpower/forcefield users of a threat to their wallets. The first thing is if you detect ANY errors on the specifications of the intended purchase, they are sure to become contentious (you will lose) in the future. It might be "bait and switch" or the reverse, that is, the substitution of an inferior battery for the one expected (of course at the higher price). As I've said before NiFe was THE original Edison cell and the technology is not changing much so the advertised weight of a cell is extremely important. The guts of a cell can vary so the volume is not as important. If the seller/importer send you a lighter battery you've been gypped (sorry for the reference to gypsies, I know a few good ones). If they say the battery can provide 661 amps over 100 hours and the battery is 500 amp rated at a c5 discharge (over 5 hours) there is very high doubt that you will get a fair deal. If they suggest you should be happy with a reduced shipping rate because the cells are lighter, you are being conned. If you don't check the ripedoff site and the BBB in advance it's a mistake. Insist on independent references of satisfied customers unless you are a personal friend of the CEO.

On the plus side I believe Changhong and Changzhou NiFe cells are of high quality and reliability. These companies want to provide the world with good batteries after China gets theirs :-)(I've heard they are making over 20,000 NiFe wet cells a quarter). My purchase included chemicals, hydrometer, thermometer, apron, goggels, gloves, and a good multimeter I'd probably have to pay over a centibuck here in the US for. The crating/banding was good...no damage. Overall weight was about 2500 pounds in 5 crates (3 at 550 pounds-10 cells each). More to follow......

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:55:12 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: how not to get [expletive deleted] when purcha
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 02:39:20 PM »
Questions:

a) What country are you in?

b) Who was the dealer/importer/whatever you used?

If you have a good experience this will allow others to attempt to repeat it verbatim.

= = = =

I hear you should keep a spray bottle of vinegar handy just in case of a spill.  (Like keeping baking soda or a spray bottle of baking soda solution handy when working with lead-acids.)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 02:39:20 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
oops
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »
Oops.  Missed that you said "here in the US".  So change the Q to "where in the US?"

Nice to hear that NiFe cells are available again (even if getting them is fraught with opportunities for consumer fraud).

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 02:42:44 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

shay

I'm leaving hints....
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 07:52:31 AM »
If Otherpower/Forcefield says I can mention the company's name I will. There is only one with an internet presence I'm aware of and there is the problem! Also check out the DMA (direct marketing Association) and research the owner of the company before purchasing.  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:52:31 AM by shay »