Author Topic: Pics of work on turbine to date  (Read 1538 times)

Wes

Pics of work on turbine to date
« on: May 22, 2009, 06:57:46 PM »

So here is what my 6' diameter rotor looks like. I am shooting for around 200 watts with this one given the winds here in the Appalachian Mountains. I plan on building a 12 footer to replace this soon!

More from the 6 footer. Carved the blades with a spoke shave and a hand saw, with a little chisel work here and there. I plan to do my 12 footer much the same way.

Rear wheel, bearing hub...note that the holes are drilled 10. cm and not 4 in in diameter, which is how the magnet template came. Might have to increases the tolerances of the 4 holes on the flange before I assemble.

Just glued the magnets with some loctite brand glue. I used an angle grinder and a few cut off wheels to cut the mag rotors out of a 1/4" sheet of mild. Took quite a while rough out 12" circles, and then grinding the edges down bit by bit until I was within a 1/16th inch or so of the circle I scribed on the surface.

My first time casting. I taped around the edges with NO banding around the end as of yet. I may just end up using the worm gear style pipe straps around the edge or zip ties. Seems like some older designs don't use any kind of banding around the edge during casting. I tried wraping 1/16" braided steel cable around the magnets and cast that, but the wire refused to stay on the end. had a tendency to hop on top the magnets, so I scrapped that idea.

Notice the two tapped 1/2" - 13 tpi for jacking the rotor down, as recommended in Hugh Pigot "How to Build a Wind Turbine". Maybe I got the idea from his web site...either way it was from reading Hugh's work that I decided to tap just two holes.

A DC servo, some other DC motors and a tread mill motor. Might make some micro mills out of those? Found all of it in the Ohio University dumpster (I got permission to take them first though!).

Next I have to do some chassis construction/furling system, get some batteries, build a charge controller, determine how I want to wire up the stator, and build a tower...lots to do still!

Nice effort on all the project, some duplicates ~ older pictures exceeded posting limits. Hope it reads as you intended now... Thanks for posting! DanG
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:57:46 PM by (unknown) »