Author Topic: 7 Footer Balancing  (Read 1303 times)

brokengun

7 Footer Balancing
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:00:32 AM »
After putting up the turbine in late May I haven't been able to get to work on it since then. It is installed over 200 miles from my house, so it is difficult to make plans to work on it. When I left it had severe problems when reaching cut-in RPM. The turbine would cause the tower to shake pretty badly, it scared me quite a bit.

Basically the shaking was attributed to two things, one was loose guy wires. The concrete we set didn't have very much time to settle (I think your supposed to allow nearly a week), we gave it only a couple days. Because of this the guy wires had shifted slightly after the tower was installed. We tightened the wires using a turnbuckle and another piece of cable with a loop at either end.

The other part to the shaking was some pretty off balance blades mounted on the rotor. I hadn't taken sufficient care in balancing them before we put it up (I was kind of rushed). Either way, my father and I were able to do some thinking and came up with a way to balance the rotor and blade using only supplies from the local hardware store. We bought a funnel that fit in the center of the rotor (volvo disc) and the purchased a small piece of wood that had a small hole pre-drilled dead center ( I believe it was a curtain rod holder or something). This piece of wood fit very snugly in the funnel. Then we sharpened a big spike to a nice point and drove it through a piece of wood.

Pictured below are the blades and rotor balancing on the spike:

http://yfrog.com/7gimg00140rj

http://yfrog.com/0wimg00139j

The pictures look like the whole thing isn't level (but the photo was taken at a funny angle). We were able to eyeball it very well and after it was reinstalled the vibration was minimal.

Side note: It was my first time climbing the tower and just as we were putting the whole assembly back on the wind picked up. It made for a very sketchy situation. Also the magnet rotor was catching on the metal bits of my harness. My father had to climb up the tower and help me free myself so I could finally get the whole thing on. Lesson learned: Have a good plan when working on top of a tower with minimal room. That could've been a very bad situation.

Anyways, we got the whole thing back together only to discover that my inverter had died. It was purchased from VIP (auto parts supplier) and is rated for 750 watt. It wouldn't even turn on, I'm not sure why perhaps a voltage spike or something killed it? If anyone has any advice on what to look to troubleshoot it, please let me know.

Also, what is a good brand name for reliable inverters that can withstand being outside?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:00:32 AM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: 7 Footer Balancing
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 08:20:41 PM »
Have you opened the inverter to see if there is an internal fuse?

How is the inverter connected - directly to the turbine or to a battery?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:20:41 PM by dnix71 »

randy727

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 04:22:05 AM »
I looked at your pictures and I can't tell for sure, but the flat side of your blades should be towards the wind.  You will get better performance if you mount them the correct way.  Nice balancing technique.  I use an eye bolt and a string from the ceiling.

Randy B.

www.randysworkshop.com

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 04:22:05 AM by randy727 »

brokengun

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:33:16 PM »
It's connected to the battery. I haven't opened it up to see if there was an internal fuse or not. I figured they put those outside and were only for the load side.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:33:16 PM by brokengun »