Author Topic: Wind Blue VS ECM.  (Read 1238 times)

Jerry

Wind Blue VS ECM.
« on: September 20, 2009, 05:01:51 AM »
After doing all these test and then reviewing the data. I've dicided to install these 2 gennies on a small out building.

I had originaly thought of flying three 48 volt GE-ECMs there but I can see there needs to be a side by side compairison in a real world setting of these 2 gennies.

Here are the best wind test #s for the Wind Blue after mods and my 55" blades and the modifide GE-ECM with mods and my 48" blades.

I just thought I would be real intresting to log data from these 2 gennies from a tower mounted setting to see how they compair. I might put the Garbogen in the mix as well.

I'll have a amp meter on each unit as they are feeding the same large battery bank.

Then I can snap a picture of the 3 amp meters and post it here. I'll fly My Oregon Scientific anamomiter centered and ahead of these gennies to track wind speed.

Oh and a nice bonus here also, I can use the power in my shop thats right next to this out building.

Here are the Wind Blue and ECM wind test #s so far.  The W B is for the Wind Blue.

W B stock           W B with mods           ECM 48" blades

1.  mph 0 watts          0 watts                  12.6 watts
  2. mph 0 watts          0 watts                  52 watts
  3. mph 25.4 watts       64.135 watts            82.9 watts
  4. mph 50.91 watts      193.20 watts           177.48 watss
  5. mph 90.174 watts     210 watts             222.24 watts
  6. mph 105.6 watts      259.2 watts           244.83 watts

These #s are scewed some what by the cab over effect from the truck mounted testing.

Jerry

So the out building real world testing will be very intresting.

Check the W B mods in my earlyer diary.

The testing continuse.

Jerry

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:01:51 AM by (unknown) »

galeforce jones

Re: Wind Blue VS ECM.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:02:48 PM »
Interesting results Jerry. Have you tested Hughs' 4ft fitted with Hughs' 4ft blades + coils and magnets as specified in Hughs' book Versus: Hughs' 4ft fitted with Hughs' 4ft blade when Jerry rigged. I think a rpm = watts would be a more accurate means of comparing the two setups (takes care of headwinds also would be a finer measurement as 1 mph would equal quite a few revs)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 03:02:48 PM by galeforce jones »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 08:31:15 PM »
Hi galeforce jones.

I did a compairison between star and Jerry rigged in the wind tunnel.

The carved wood blades in that test were not the good Hugh Piggot blades my cabinet build made for me latter.

However there is a compairison there with my blades both star and Jerry riged. From that you can see the diferances between the 2 wiring scheems.

I will keep it in Jerry rigged it preforms much better.

Heres the diary.  http://.fieldlines.com/story/2009/8/9/34651/23666.

I've also benched Hughs for rpms amps ect. alt. I'll look the story up and get you the link.

Jerry

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:31:15 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 08:49:37 PM »
Well the bench test I did was in star. I was compairing rpms and amps to my 14-11 project.

Sounds like I need to bench the 4ft Hugh Piggot alt both ways and report the findings.

Just way to many tests to do. The wind test in both configurations did show a diferance. I'm sure the diferance will be as evident on the bench.

You know I don't have to be the only one doing these type of test. But I sure do get many suggestions on how to do them.

Jerry

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:49:37 PM by Jerry »