Author Topic: #27 gets paint  (Read 1777 times)

Volvo farmer

#27 gets paint
« on: September 27, 2009, 06:23:18 PM »

Here's my 2006 vintage Danbuilt turbine sporting new paint. The green/yellow John Deere paint it came with was cute, but it wasn't my style :-)

Here's my quick and dirty solution to keep loose magnets on the rotor. It was actually Dan's idea, but it was a quick 45 minute fix and I feel better about the rotors now.

I think this will be up in the air next weekend, All I need to do is lay out and balance the blades, and make the wiring connection at the top of the turbine. Woot!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:23:18 PM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Re: #27 gets paint
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 07:01:56 PM »
Loose magnets, yikes. If they are moving then they are not adhered to nor sealed from water. The side forces on the magnets are extreme as we all know, if they have broken loose then the centrifigal (centripital) I don't remember which force throws them outward besides. You may keep them on the rotors (are the washers welded to the rotors ?) but if they are sliding around hitting the sides of the embeding material then all I can say is I hope your rotor embedding material lasts a long time under those stresses and water infiltration besides. Very creative patch though I must admit.   Dave B.      
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:01:56 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 07:20:05 PM »
Thanks for your concern.

The ultimate goal is to upgrade this thing to 2009 (2010?) standards. I suspect it will be in the air 9-12 months before I get round magnets, epoxied rotors, and a new stator, more matched to my wire run. However, I bet #27 runs through the winter here just fine. If not, you get to look at nifty pictures of how it failed, because that's how I roll :-)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:20:05 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 07:50:21 PM »
I honestly wish you luck, not sarcastic or anything just concerned. I always liked the round disk magnets and my first single rotor single phase with laminants had them. They were pricey back then but with epoxy all around them you don't have the straight sides just to slip out. I always thought they were much more secure but again only with proper adhesive and preperation. I hope we don't see a failure from you but I'm like you, the first to show it so we all can learn. Thanks for the post and photos. Nice colors too I might add.  Dave B.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:50:21 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 04:38:08 AM »
Looking good mister Farmer!

I like the washer approach which sure should beat no retaining device.

That JD green was pretty common on the older DanBilts. He must have had some around and being Earth conscious he decided to use it up rather than land fill it. Either that or he was cheap and had it around. I repainted mine with red Rustoleum.

Your HTML skilz are leet, dude.

Thanks for the share.

Tom

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:38:08 AM by TomW »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:18:21 AM »
Looking Good, VF.

I am guessing the panels are made by REC ScanModule, and your rifle is 6.5x55?  :)

G-

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:18:21 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 05:31:37 AM »
By the way, mine is #20 of the original Volvo series.

24 volt and has been upgraded to round magnets and a more current stator.

Between that ten footer and the 6.5 foot Zubbly Conversion Mill we saw just under 80 amps overnight into the batteries according to the Doc Wattson. Kind of disproves my worry that I had a fault because I was not seeing much power from them the last month despite some winds.

Just an FYI.

Again, thanks for the share.

Tom

Just FYI

Tom

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:31:37 AM by TomW »

Janne

• Turbiini
    • My image gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:53:46 AM »
Hello, and thanks for the pictures.

The paint job looks superb, except for the tail which looks like a swedish flag :) (I like white and blue better)

I wonder, if stainless steel hose clamp would be a good quick fix against loose magnets? The type, that you can buy in a reel, for example something like this:

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/acomat-international/quick-locking-hose-clamp-on-reel-17637-30984
0.html

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:53:46 AM by Janne »
Nothing's as easy as drilling a hole in the wrong place