Author Topic: LED lighting 80lm/W!  (Read 6752 times)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: LED lighting 80lm/W!
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 06:22:17 AM »
For me, they seem to work out very well. Mine is not a as pretty as the one G- put up, but the Sweet Bell Pepper plant sure does like them.

We've kept it small on purpose (so it could go in/out doors as the seasons dictate), it's on it's 3rd year, so a little bit of wood hardening on the bottom, currently 5 flowers + 1 pepper about the size of a man's thumb.

The Globe Basil and Thyme like a good balance so they're much closer to the window . The leaves have a very good color and hardy taste to them, ( much much better than the dried stuff from even a spice store).

Next time I build one, it'll be so I can control which colors are on.

Veggie bearing plants, like this one & some smallish hot peppers like the longer "RED" light time than blue during leaf growing time and once the flowers have set and peppers are shaped they like the longer blues, so next light box will allow me to do just that.

This box was the 1st one I did just to see how well it would do, and can't bring myself to redo it.

Cheers;

Bruce S

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:22:17 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

bob golding

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 09:45:15 AM »
i concur with Damon on these new 7 watt eq 60s. very nice light good shape and i cant tell the difference between these and the posh cfls i am using apart from the instant turn on characteristics. i will definitely be buying more of them. i also have one of the oil filled 4 watt leds as well. i am using that as a kitchen work surface light for which it is fine. i did a test on the light output over 12 hours, and didnt notice any loss of output in that time. overall i would say that both lights are excellent,and would be a good replacement for cfls if you can bear the extra cost. its a bit difficult to do a real comparison of costs as cfls are being almost given away by power companies as part of their carbon offset commitment. be better if they subsidised led lighting instead,but maybe led production is not up to speed yet. only just got the eq60 so havent done a light output over time test yet.

bob

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:45:15 AM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »
Some rather overdue pics of the EQ60...

http://gallery.hd.org/_virtual/ByCategory/light/low/energy/led/7w/

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:10:42 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »
Just received this evening two 'production-run' EQ60s (cool white, screw and bayonet fittings).

The light output is astonishing; by eye it's comparable to a 20W warm CFL, though that's very subjective.

Haven't yet checked the real power draw and power factor.  Labelled as 7W and power factor is said to have been improved.

The beam spread is completely fine for all the settings I've tried these bulbs in: I was worried that the 120 degree spread would be noticeably different from, say, the spiral or globe or tube CFLs that we use with them, but it isn't an issue yet.

I was hoping for one warm and one cool to be shipped to me, so two cool white is an error, but I'll take the opportunity to try one out on an older member of the extended family who is starting to find the 'warm' CFLs too yellow and somewhat headache inducing.

Anyway, I'm still very impressed with these.

And EQ80s are in the pipeline.

And yes, the boxes do have the equivalent of "do not look directly at bulb with remaining wizened stump" on them!

Rgds

Damon

PS. Here's a US review where someone chopped one open: http://www.edn.com/blog/1470000147/post/1590052559.html

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:24:40 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social