Author Topic: Help with Wind Protection  (Read 1703 times)

(unknown)

Help with Wind Protection
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:49:31 AM »
If there is any information, leads or drawings/schematics that anyone can share I would be SO much appreciative!!!

Here is a piece of my "proposal" I handed into instructors and had approved. Please anyone with info to offer would be needed and appreciated, thanks in advance!!

In this report I intend to research and report what it takes to get power from the wind turbine to the grid by answering the associated questions:

Protection. What protection is used for the generator, the grid and everything in between? Because the wind turbines are so high from the ground they are susceptible to lightning strikes; surge protection would be a desirable investment.  I also intend to research what types of relays are involved and what they would protect against. In addition, I expect to research information on other forms of protection involved and report my results.

Control. What instruments are involved in controlling the system? Due to the unreliability of wind, a variable speed controller would be ideal. I intend to explore what instruments are needed for controlling the system.

Metering. What is used to monitor the system? Knowing the wind speed would be convenient for this unreliable source. I propose to investigate what type of monitoring and metering is required for wind power.

Thank you so much for reading this and I hope to get lots of feedback! THANKS!!

please keep things on one topic all in one story use the post reply or reply to this buttons to add content to your story i removed your two other stories that were in other sections.
Kurt
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 05:49:31 AM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Help with Wind Protection
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 08:15:20 AM »
You seem to be asking how commercial wind generators work. Much of the info exchanged here is off-grid.

The NEC, UL and the local electric utility specify minimum grounding requirements and overvoltage protection. My BZ MPPT has that built-in, but I bought that product. I'm not sure they would want to share with the public proprietary design info like that.

Overspeed protection can be electric or mechanical brakes. It also usualy includes some type of blade design that takes the blade partly out of the wind as the wind or turbine speed get too high. On a small turbine, the tail lifts the entire turbine out of the wind (furling).

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:15:20 AM by dnix71 »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 04:21:54 PM »
Hi Shawna,

I can't think of a better answer to all of your questions than the books written by either Paul Gipe, Mick Sagrillo, or Hugh Piggott.  All have extensive working experience with wind turbines - going back decades.  All three are similar in that they have each written several books (magazine editor in Mick's case), promote the use of small wind in both on-grid and off-grid uses (Hugh less so) and are involved with extensive websites for those who want news and "tricks of the trade".

I wrote a review of one of these books in a thread on this forum:

Wind Power by Paul Gipe

Depending on your perspective, you might also want to look at Hugh Piggott's book "Windpower Workshop".  It gets deeper into the workings of the machine - but more intended for the off-grid audience.  He does seem to be a pioneer of the "furling tail" mechanism that is often used now, which adresses one of your questions.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:21:54 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

student shawna

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »
Thank you for your input.

Your right, my project is from the turbine to the grid. I am having a hard time finding much so far, I was hoping someone would be able to help. But I will just keep digging. If you happen to run by anything in your surfing travels I would be much obliged for any input :)

And I will look into those books :) thx!!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:33:18 PM by student shawna »