Author Topic: Test Solar Tracker  (Read 2978 times)

Junkie

• Scraptopower.co.uk
Test Solar Tracker
« on: January 30, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »
Here's a little solar tracker that I built. It uses two calculator(2v 20ma or so) solar panels to detect where the sun is and a simple circuit. The motor is a windscreen wiper motor. It's a bit too weak and will probably break after about 6months, but I'm pleased it works. Obviously it needs to be fixed to something otherwise it will get blown over. Heres a photo testing it, the panel should be turned round 180 degrees, but I was testing it and kept turning it to check it moved properly.Theres  lots of room improvement to be made I think.

Heres the sensor. By default it moves west until the shrouded solar panel is pointing directly at the sun. At night it resets to the central position, so that the othe solar panel can detect the sun in nthe east and reverse the motor direction. It has the problem that it will keep reseting to the centre position on sunny/cloudy days wasting energy, it needs a delay before it will reset at night. The sensor is in a plastiv tub to make it watertight.

This is the centre switch in the circuit. It's a reed switch off an old cycle computer. I rotated it 90* after this photo as it wasn't specific enough.

This is the other switch that reverses the motor when it's pointing west at night.

Solar Tracker more photos

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:08:17 AM by (unknown) »

coldspot

Re: Test Solar Tracker
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:18:21 PM »
 junkie-

"The motor is a windscreen wiper motor. It's a bit too weak"

Maybe you might try a power

window motor.

My $0.02

:)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:18:21 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

mikeyny

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 05:17:12 AM »
great little project junkie. I had done some experimenting with some cad cells from an oil burner to sense the  suns location, and used a cordless drill for movement. You have peaked my interest in this project again. I may build a tracker for one of my small hot water panels this spring to get more out of it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:17:12 AM by mikeyny »

Subman

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 05:37:54 AM »
For a center switch why don't you try putting in a timer to go back to center at say 8 or 9 pm.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 05:37:54 AM by Subman »

Junkie

• Scraptopower.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »
Yeah I am going to add some kind of timer, though I'm not sure what type yet. The windscreen wiper motor isn't lacking in power but it's weak mechanically, the shaft wobbles quite a bit.

Hopefully we'll get some actual sun eventually!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:56:51 AM by Junkie »