Author Topic: Solar Traker Project Update  (Read 3527 times)

(unknown)

Solar Traker Project Update
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:02:04 AM »
Greetings, I was able resolve must of the issues I was facing when I started this project.  The biggest problem was spindle runout. I was using the wrong collet, it was not the bits.  The only issues remaining are improving board layout and finding a source flatter pcb boards. The boards I purchase at Rshack are not working. The board is not flat.  Photos show results after 5 passed and some of text is still missing.  Depth of cut for trace was set at 0.0065 and after each complete run zero position was lowered 0.0020.  It will be fun to see if I can solder all the pad location and the experience has showed me I need a collet upgrade. All thing considered not bad results The uses CMOS chips for the logic and oscillator  circuits and a small solar panel will be used to supply power for the circuit and motors. This will allow system shut down at sun set and restart operations at sun rise.  

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:02:04 AM by (unknown) »

LarryDalooza

Re: Solar Traker Project Update
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:48:23 PM by LarryDalooza »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:01:07 PM »
I can't get the film to show.

What is it:  Mounting a panel on a sunflower?  B-)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:01:07 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »
ULR, it's the same video I posted in the trash tracker thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_yqBdbuKpg

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:18:19 PM by zap »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:48:35 AM »
 Simplicity is the key in the heat of the day . There's no doubt that the two panels will out last the most components .
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:48:35 AM by tecker »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »
Oh, cute:  Paralleling two (essentially identical) panels + to - and - to +.  I've been trying to figure out how to do something like this with minimal additional components and your arrangement just does it with NONE.  B-)

- The generated voltage is the diode drop so even though each panel is forward biased by the other it is only forward biased by the amount of its own voltage drop, which doesn't drive it into conduction.  No current flows in a given panel except through light-formed electron-hole pairs from its own illumination.

- The maximum current through each is its generated current and the available current for the load is the difference of the panels' currents.

- The open-circuit voltage is the voltage of the more-illuminated panel minus its resistive drop from its load current - which is the sum of the current from the less-illuminated panel and the load proper.

- "Shorting" a panel - by driving an equal current from its opposite number panel through it - doesn't hurt it, nor does applying a reverse voltage of no more than its own sum-of-drops.

- Panels can be large enough to collect enough power to run a serious gearmotor for a big load, without major expense.  (Or you can use tiny panels and polarized relays to steal major power from the big panel when it's time to move.)

For better tracking I'd mount both panels facing "forward", side-by-side along their narrow edge, with a long baffle between them also pointing forward.  With very small errors it would quickly shadow the "off" panel.  (Make it a double-sided mirror and it will also "double" the "bright" panel, if the latter can stand 2x solar input when off-axis.)

Motor will start when output current is high enough to break any cogging and bearing standing friction, stop when voltage is low enough that bearing sliding friction and eddy losses overcome the available power (which might be AFTER the panel comes to center due to inertia).  So the panel will track with a start-stop and lag angle.  Gear it down far enough and the motor will run slowly all day and track at pretty close to a constant angle.

Since you only have to move "forward" for most of the day, rather than track back-and-forth, (though reverse voltage is good for braking to reduce inertial overshoot), you might separate the cells a bit and use a T or box-shaped baffle so one only one cell is "on" at a time.  This will keep the "off" cell from stealing power and make more available for the motor, causing the lag angle to be lower and/or letting you get away with smaller sensor panels.

As others have mentioned, mirrors can direct "turn-around" light at the back-up panel from somewhat off-axis while baffles block it from the go-forward panel.  (Or just add one or two extra "go-back" panels at other angles if you don't get a lot of scattered light.)

Sweet!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:42:45 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
Continuing...

- The open-circuit voltage is the voltage of the more-illuminated panel minus its resistive drop from its load current - which is the sum of the current from the less-illuminated panel and the load proper.

So (neglecting voltage drop from external load current) the generated voltage is an error signal.  Presuming the motor is a PM DC motor (or behaves like one) the voltage seen by the motor is the error signal minus a signal proportional to how fast it's returning to center - and there's your servo loop damping.

Forget the comment above about separating the panels, I had the geometry wrong in my head.  Tight together, separated, or even in two separate L-shaped units, the light curve is the same.  (But having them half-shaded at sun-facing might be interesting, depending on the panels' cell geometry.)  You can mount each on a separate side of the main panel, offset behind it so they get shaded by it.  The farther back, the steeper the slope of the error signal at cutover.  Support it by a mirror rather than a non-reflective support to do the "doubling" described earlier.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:43:38 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »
So (neglecting voltage drop from external load current) the generated voltage is an error signal.

Well, the generated available current is the error signal.  But that maps to voltage kinda when you're under load, and the deviation from the ideal is actually helpful.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:45:38 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 06:55:58 AM »
In other words, it just works? :)

I messed around with some small geared motors running off the same small panels.  It worked well but I haven't had time to mess with it for about a year now though I still have a few prototype gear boxes waiting.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:55:58 AM by zap »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 01:31:47 PM »
In other words:

- It just works.

- Very very well.

- It does all the right subtle servo stuff, too.

- It doesn't overstress anything (if the panels have the same number and kind of cells).

- And a little hacking with baffles and mirrors can make it work even better.

Sweet!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:31:47 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »