Author Topic: Used a fresnel lens to heat?  (Read 3415 times)

tawa

Used a fresnel lens to heat?
« on: October 09, 2004, 02:47:33 PM »
I was browsing fresnel lenses today, and they concentrate the sun in a real powerful beam at a single point, hot enough to make asphalt bubble! (The question is, how much is a quality fresnel that actually does this?) Has anyone considered using a fresnel to concentrate the sun on metal pipe for heating? You could adjust the focal point so any surrounding wood would not catch on fire, or just make a metal enclosure holding your water pipes. I'm sure the fresnel could make near-boiling water if the water passed slow enough through the pipes.

What do you all think?

Are the plastic fresnel lenses sold in bookstores any good? Like the 8x11" ones.

If not, do they have to be glass?

How much do glass ones cost?

One problem: the focal point is only good when the sun is in one point in the sky. But you could have multiple fresnel lenses set to use the sun at various times of day. But then you would need something to hold the heat in while the sun was between optimal fresnel lens focus points.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 02:47:33 PM by (unknown) »

bkrahmer

Re: Used a fresnel lens to heat?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 09:10:30 PM »
Just thinking out loud here: If one were to make something like a solar collector for water heating out of fresnel lenses, what are you gaining?  It is true that they concentrate solar energy, but I'm not sure how much more efficient the heat transfer would be.  As you said, you would have to use a dual-axis (at least single axis) tracker to keep the lenses focused on your pipes, and the added complexity and cost probably wouldn't make up for the increased efficiency.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 09:10:30 PM by bkrahmer »

jimovonz

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 01:34:39 AM »
Concentrating sunlight by any means does not make heating any more efficient. Infact, efficiency is generally inversely proportional to the reciever temperature. Concentration is used when high temperatures are required - such as for steam generation. The energy available from the sun is nominally 1000w/m2 of collector area directly facing the sun, and is typically less if the collector is 'off axis', the sun is obscured or low in the sky. For most domestic heating purposes, a simple collector with modest insulation will provide sufficient temperature without the need for concentration. You are much better off expending your efforts/money on increasing collector area. For example, the 8"x11" plastic fresnel lens you mention would provide approx 45w max to the focal point if correctly aligned to the noon day sun (this would be its absolute max output). If you could retain all this heat (you can't) it would take approx 13.5 minutes to boil the water in one glass of water. Not only would you need a lot of lenses to provide any usable amount of heat, you wouldn't capture any more energy than a similar size flat plate collector. The flat plate collector would also have the benefit of performing much better when not facing the sun directly.

I have made approx 170ft^2 of collector area using aluminium flat plate in a simple frame with urethane foam insulation and glass covering. The all up cost was approx US$700. This provides 99% of all the energy required to heat my 2800ft^2 home (water included).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 01:34:39 AM by jimovonz »

tawa

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 09:27:37 AM »
Sounds like a good idea. I just got an Edmund's Scientific catalog and they had an 8.5x11 fresnel for $30. I guess you get what you pay for, I would assume this one was plastic.

Go to www.scientificsonline.com.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 09:27:37 AM by tawa »