Author Topic: Looking for cheap heat supplement  (Read 9633 times)

whatsnext

Re: Looking for cheap heat supplement
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2005, 08:27:32 PM »
Tom, I don't claim to be any sort of expert but I have burned a few tons of corn and have some in the stove now. Something, I'm quite sure, that many of the people claiming corn as a wonder fuel have not done. I understand that none of us here have any way of knowing each others background. That said it's hard to let a statement like nanotech's go without comment lest someone think that a $1900 corn stove could possibly heat a giant uninsulated metal building, with the doors open, through a Minnisota winter. An idea that would be laughable if I thought it was meant in jest. So, that is a problem with this board. While I love it and think that the Dans do a great service for everyone in the RE field there are times when less than reliable info get's dispursed. And, when someone challenges it their motivations are questioned. Anyone able to do the math can decide for themselves which data is most accurate.

John....
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 08:27:32 PM by whatsnext »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2005, 05:13:10 AM »
John;

I did not intend to imply that any individual was full of B.S., although there definitely are a few on this forum just like any other. I was trying to make a general statement about how anyone should approach online advice. In person I can read people fairly well initially but it takes a few comments online to figure out where the bull has left his pile. A lot of times it is simply that comments are made out of context or only address one piece of a complex issue. A person really needs to sift the information on these forums and take any seemingly fantastic claims with the proverbial grain of salt and apply a generous helping of common sense to the mix.

I certainly meant no offense to anyone.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 05:13:10 AM by TomW »

Derek

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2005, 12:29:38 PM »
Using hot water for heat is one thing I'm still debating.  Granted it would take a bit of power to get the water to the desired temperature.  But after that, wouldnt it require less power to keep the water hot than running any other type of heat?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 12:29:38 PM by Derek »

nanotech

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2006, 11:21:30 PM »
I have no idea about the numbers involved.  I only know the end results.

This building I was talking about went from $4,500 a season in heating to less than $500.  That's all I know.

And the place I work at ( http://www.woodmaster.com ) makes a 3300 model (for up to 2,500 sq ft), a 4400 model (up to 5,000 sq ft), a 5500 model (up to 7,500 sq ft) and a 6500 model (up to 10,000 sq ft).  All of those are using wood for fuel.  They also make the AFS1100 which is made for corn, wood pellet, or paper pellet.  It is physically the same size as the 3300, but the firebox is half the size.  The rest of the room is used for the auger mechanisms.

Oh, and the recommended sq footage for the AFS 1100 I believe is 6,500 sq ft or more as anything less and the corn will actually go out waiting on the buildings extracting enough heat from the water to make engaging the blowers worthwhile.  The 6,500 sq ft recommendation is a MINIMUM, not maximum.  We use two of the AFS 1100's and one MF6500 to heat the main shop (75 X 300), the storage shed (100 X 200) and the warranty shop (60 X 100).  None of them are anything more than a sheetmetal pole barn.  And the corn burners?  They share a small silo that I would say is about the size of my 1000 gallon septic tank, maybe a little bigger.  So let's say 1,500 gallons to be generous.  No idea what that equals in pounds.  It was filled in October of 2004 and is still at least 1/3 full.....

Oh, and as for fuel in the 6500?  We use all the pallets that our supplies are delivered on.  On average about 6-10 pallets a day.  Between the three stoves it maintains the in-floor radiant hot water at 155 deg F.  Oh, and the five heat exchangers it all goes through to heat all the buildings potable hot water, too.  So we have instant-on hot water at every faucet.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 11:21:30 PM by nanotech »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2006, 04:24:38 PM »
Hi,

I don't think it will make much difference whether the medium you use to carry the heat is water or air.  Basically, the building loses heat and if you want the temperature to stay steady, you have to add that amount of heat back in.  

Solar heat is the only "free ride".  Do you have a good south exposure?

Gary

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 04:24:38 PM by GaryGary »