Author Topic: Methane  (Read 1825 times)

TERRYWGIPE

Methane
« on: April 06, 2005, 01:51:40 PM »
Here's an article I found in "Backwoods" mag. I tried with fire like a caveman. I used the barrel idea for storage, but ran the line from the digester to containment barrel right up and under the water. I didn't put a "T" in i just ran i copper tube off, hence a toy Blowtorch. I plan to use one of those large construction water containment tanks to make a continuous digester in the future.

LINK

I posted it as a link for you, Terry plus combined the 3 attempts into this one. You can not post a PDF as an image was the problem.

Editor

« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 01:51:40 PM by (unknown) »

TERRYWGIPE

Re: Methane
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 07:57:17 AM »
Sorry I Cant figure out how to post this thing

Theer
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 07:57:17 AM by TERRYWGIPE »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 07:07:21 PM »
i down loaded the file , thanks. i'm not ready for methane yet but someday.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 07:07:21 PM by electrondady1 »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 02:30:31 AM »
saw a old african film --they used a big clay dome with a pipe coming out of the top..

come to think of it it kinda looked like a igloo..they tossed all their animale waste inside.-it was a real low pressure system but it worked. showed a mobile camper type

stove hooked to it.............
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 02:30:31 AM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

healerenergy

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 12:29:00 AM »
There is one thig most people never think of for use in a digetser and that is pond moss. There is also a type of digetter that I read about that lets you input new material in to it without loosing presuse in the digester with a system similar to toilet system on submarines. These use a set of valves with volume vs pressure idea. Now do any of you methame buffs know what are the by-products of the digester? there is liquid and solid.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 12:29:00 AM by healerenergy »

TERRYWGIPE

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 04:56:06 PM »
Here's a sketch of the continuous digester I'm going to be working on. I think I might try putting a s-trap in to see if it builds up pressure. Good thaught, thanks. as far as what to put into the thing, if it rots use it.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 04:56:06 PM by TERRYWGIPE »

TERRYWGIPE

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 05:15:25 PM »
Hey Jack did you get that vegie fuel email?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 05:15:25 PM by TERRYWGIPE »

healerenergy

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 12:06:06 AM »
If you build a digester remember to sell all the byproducts. It is makes good potting soil and liquid fertiliser.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:06:06 AM by healerenergy »

gale

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 08:57:11 PM »
I have seen some continus digesters used on dairy farms for over the last 25 years.  The most common designs were a sloped concrete trench, covered with a heavy plastic sheet, sealed with dirt piled on the lip of the plastic.  You add your new "feedstuff" on the top of the slope and as you push it under the lip of the digester, digested material appeared out the far end flap.  You knew you had gas when the plastic bubbled up.  The gas was removed through a iron pipe with a simple filter going through the side of concrete wall, then angled up into the bubble area(saved from cutting the plastic).

I remember that they had a rule of pumping out all the gas before the daily reload.  Then reloading the unit. Careful about making sure the plastic was sealed again, then they pumped out the new air.  They had trouble with too much air in with their fuel. They used old propane tanks and pumps to store the fuel.

Then they ran the fuel through a modified lpg Catipillar engine/generator and sold the electricity back to the utility.  The trouble it took 100 cows' material to feed the methane generator.  But, it paid for itself in 6 years.

You will be surprised by how much methane you can make in a day,  and don't be surprised that the digester can heat up to 150-170f. The key is to have a good steady supply of new "feedstuff".
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 08:57:11 PM by gale »

Grim

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 04:27:43 AM »
A bit about the mechanics of the thing can be found here:

http://www.ecouncil.ac.cr/rio/focus/report/english/inforse.htm

Out here in India, methane, or biogas as it is commonly called here, is very popular in rural communities with the government providing a lot of support and even capital to village councils for them to set up biogas plants. Everyone gets light and cooking fuel piped to them at their homes. this has added benefits of the ladies not having to slave over smokey fires when they cook and has totally eliminated certain bronchial ailments from rural communities. One instance where the geovernment knew which part of the horse was the head and which the rear. :)

Grim

« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 04:27:43 AM by Grim »