Author Topic: cool coils  (Read 1963 times)

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
cool coils
« on: May 30, 2005, 12:13:09 PM »
a few weeks ago windsuff ed posted "hot stator" . in the ensueing discusion , it was mentioned that 50% of the energy created by a geni was heat. various ideas surfaced to aide the stator in disipating this heat. it occured to me , that if there was that much heat created it would be good to utilize it some how . hanging on a nail in my shop are two twenty five foot lenghs of 1/8" copper tubing.  the thought occured to me to use tubing instead of wire to form the coils.there is very little electrical resistance in this material. an insulated coating would be required.  a nonconductive fluid could be run through the coils and the heat generated could be harvested as well as elctrical energy.

any thoughts any one?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 12:13:09 PM by (unknown) »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: cool coils
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 06:29:46 AM »
i only mentioned vawtes as it seemed practical to have the geni at ground level in order to harvest the stator heat.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 06:29:46 AM by electrondady1 »

XRay

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 07:02:55 AM »
What about a sterling-geni on the same hub behind the wind-geni. A small pump on de rotor ax, and pump the hot fluid through the sterling. The wind cools they other site of the sterling.

Ok, the sterling will not do a real good job because its not mush heat, but it will do something :))

Greetings,

Ray

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 07:02:55 AM by XRay »

kitno455

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 07:41:46 AM »
two comments:

1. i once got to walk inside an old mothballed GE hydroturbine, maybe 500KW? it used heavywalled coppertubing with cooling water running thru it. so yes, it can be done. i think they just dumped the cooling water into their output.
  2. dan b built a stator for a little diesel with copper tape for windings, and found that it got quite hot due to eddy currents perhaps. you might have the same problem, which leads to the question, might it be better to have water flowing around thin wire...

allan
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 07:41:46 AM by kitno455 »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 10:10:54 AM »
yes i was monitoring danb's progress on the diesel geni , i thought the conclusion was a short at the connections.or perhaps interfearance with the 120 volt circuts . the eddy current phenominon is a little beond my understanding but if it's a factor perhaps running a coolant through the conductors would be a cure . this tubing is just 1/8" dia. the size would limit the number of turns but the current carrying capacity would be large. my multi meter is kind of lame, when measureing resistance it has .3 ohms across the leads and no way to adjust to zero . but measureing the resistance of 25', it reads .5 .hmmm? the surface would need to be coated with the proper material. i've got lots of epoxy paint but that might not do the trick.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 10:10:54 AM by electrondady1 »

feral air

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 01:33:04 PM »
It's the temperature difference that makes a Stirling engine work. The hot side could be 32° (freezing) as long as the cold side is a bit colder than that.

Another idea is to use a closed-loop "micro hydro" type system. If the fluid gets hot enough you might have some pressure to work with, I dunno. There's probably more losses that way but it might be easier to do.

..just a half-random thought.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:33:04 PM by feral air »