Author Topic: Electric Chain-saw/Inverter Combo  (Read 3081 times)

FrankG

Electric Chain-saw/Inverter Combo
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:30:14 PM »
(sorry if this posts twice, this is the second attempt)...

The link below is to last weekends "Remington Chainsaw" and 1200VA inverter experiment... It seems to work just fine, though the batteries didn't last very long.

http://www.theworkshop.ca/ruralskills/Skidoo/2/sled2.htm

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 06:30:14 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: Electric Chain-saw/Inverter Combo
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 02:52:36 PM »
I never checked how much power my electric chainsaw uses. I have used mine in the woods alot with a heavy duty extension cord and an Aims 5K inverter running from some large deepcycles that I carry in the truck. When I rented a remote house that I kept off grid while living there I also cut my firewood with the electric saw from the inverter. Bundles of slabs.

Very handy, and better for the inviroment too. Even though I may use a bit more gas hauling batteries in the truck and charging while driving, I am certain I use less feul and polute less than running a 2 cycle gas saw and burning oil in it too. Also never have to worry about getting the electric started or the rope breaking. My big gas saw I have to replace the broken rope now. Electric saw is not the best for everything, I use my big old Johnsered for alot of large stuff or need to cut alot of wood fast, but great to have the electric for the smaller stuff or when you want it to stay quite and watch the deer as you cut wood :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:52:36 PM by nothing to lose »

whatsnext

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 03:04:45 PM »
" I am certain I use less fuel and polute less than running a 2 cycle gas saw and burning oil in it too."

Very unlikely as you are going through multiple energy conversions by the time you start cutting wood. Plus you used to be dragging a ton of batteries around. Are you still doing that? You used to seem pretty committed about dragging them around and I'm wondering how it worked out for you after all this time. It always seemed like a lot of work to me.

John...

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 03:04:45 PM by whatsnext »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:38:39 PM »
Yes, I have 2 T105s, 2 L16p, and 2 a bit smaller than l16p but much larger than 105s. That's 6 6V batteries. I only use them in sets of 2 matching though. Probably close around an 800-1000amp total at 12V.

I have not been using the truck and batteries nearly as often in the last few months or so as I had been. I did take them out for awhile. I checked mileage with the battery weight and after taking them out. There was not enough difference in milage to even see it on that truck. I mean driving a bit faster or slower, sitting at an extra traffic light etc... I think had more effect on mileage than the weight of the batteries did.

I put them back in again now.

It was not much work since I set the truck up for them. Dual battery isolator under the hood so I can charge the truck battery and deepcycles same time, never drain the trucks battery. I installed a toggle switch and amp gauge plus digital meter. When I want to charge them while driving I flip on the toggle switch, don't want to charge then flip off switch. Digital meter shows me the Volts so I don't over charge. The amp gauge has a bit of problem and does not read correct, old one I had laying around, but still gives me an idea if I am charging at 25amps or 10amps anyway.

The cables from the truck to charge the batteries has booster cable clamps, just pull them off one set of batteries and stick on the other set when I want to switch between the ones I want charged. So only trouble is deciding which set I want to use and connecting the load to it.

I will be doing the same basic setup in the 1966 Chevy motorhome I bought. It will be a 24V system as planned with it's own gennie on the engine. 1750watt sinewave UPS for the inverter. I been playing with the UPS in the house now for quite awhile. Had a couple problems come up I have to solve before I get really into rebuilding the motorhome.

11-12mpg, can't hurt that much :(

Though I do have plans to improve it alot :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 08:38:39 PM by nothing to lose »