Author Topic: DS1615 Data Collector Ver 2.0 Done!!!  (Read 1927 times)

FrankG

DS1615 Data Collector Ver 2.0 Done!!!
« on: March 28, 2006, 02:23:40 AM »
The link below is to the PCB layout and description on a revised DS1615 Data logging temperature sensor.

The key objectives were to dump the 3 Voltage supply requirements of the "Old-School" serial interface, Layout a PCB for faster more reliable assembly and try to access 2 (two) Units simultaneously ...

...done, done & done !

http://www.theworkshop.ca/energy/collector/3/coll3.htm

« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 02:23:40 AM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: DS1615 Data Collector Ver 2.0 Done!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:41:13 PM »
thats hillarious ! your junk pile looks familiar though..

back for the details...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 08:41:13 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

FrankG

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 03:39:30 AM »
Hey WilliB,

It's been bedlam out here since Mid Feb... We're into the spring thaw, which means we're hustling to clean-up the farm as the snow exposes raw ground, the maple sap is flowing and the wife has projects planned for me that admittedly are legit and has been keeping me on track...

But hardly a day goes by that I don't get a pange of guilt over not returning to the Wind Mill project.

Initially I wanted to let a few weeks lapse just to let the sour taste of defeat fade. This was a good move in that I was able distance myself from the project enough to objectively see what went right and what was really way off base.

Certainly I didn't understand the basics of how single pole Mag and coil should be configured (I know it now in spades), but moreso I had to finally come to grips with the fact that the 7 1/2" saw blades will NEVER do what I need. So at present I'm waiting for 4 (four) 12" square pieces of plate steel, either 1/8th, 3/16ths or 1/4" thick, what ever shows up at my local scrap dealer's first.

I have a chum with a plasma cutter that will cut me some proper rotor discs and then I'm back at her...

« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 03:39:30 AM by FrankG »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 10:04:15 AM »
you use the toner transfer method of getting the pattern on the board ?

i've used that.

it works good doesnt it?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 10:04:15 AM by willib »

FrankG

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 06:41:43 AM »
WilliB,

Yeah it's pretty slick...

To make it even sweeter though is that the paper I use for the toner transfer is actually a high grade "Gloss" paper that is from a free publication by Fawcett publications (they circulate a number of industry rags)...

So No capital cost to procure this wonder material, Fawcett picks up the transport cost to my door and there seems like an endless supply.

As an aside I tried the "Reverse Electro-plate" on the etchant yesterday using 2 carbon rods scavanged from dead "D" Cell drycells. I can't accurately say that the echant's pH has been altered but one of the electrodes has been plated with copper!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 06:41:43 AM by FrankG »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 12:34:46 AM »
Yeah when i did it i used high quality magazine paper also :)

i'm not sure that the reaction of feric chloride with copper is reversable, i seem to remember that it isnt , but that may have been for no energy input , i'm not sure ..

but  chlorine gas is given off in the reaction which would tell me that once it is used up , thats it , its done..
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 12:34:46 AM by willib »

dinges

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 02:53:27 AM »
You guys manage to get the toner-transfer method to work ok?

I never could get it to work. I've used deskjet-paper (glossy) in laser-copiers & printers. Ironing on the PCB went ok, but while etching the toner let go of the copper. Sometimes the board is barely useable, most often it's useless.

I think youse are using different paper from mine?

VERY interested in how you get it to work.

Peter.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 02:53:27 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)