Author Topic: South 6-12 Pitch  (Read 2768 times)

WXYZCIENCE

South 6-12 Pitch
« on: May 13, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »
WXYZ note: [Reposted with all pics 50% jpeg, Looks same to me.] I read a couple of articles on solar heating, looked around the yard and came up with enough material to build this solar window box.

I started with some 2x6 lumber, metal roofing, old shower aluminum trim, paint and of course windows.

The aluminum baffle pieces direct the hot air through the unit. They are attached to the front metal roofing.

I painted the front with a exterior black enamel paint. Cody has to check it out.

Here you can see the center aluminum piece, dividing the box into two sections. The back is now being attached, it is also made of old metal roofing.

Scott punches a rectangular hole through the south facing ashphalt roof.

Beautiful work, fits like a glove.

The solar box is set in place and I install some stainless steel mounting brackets that will hold the unit securely. Inside the house a small fan from an old computer forces the air through the window box.

The blue pipe sends the air into the living room and kitchen on the main floor. After completion my wife found a very good use for the solar heater. She removes the pipe, hangs up the laundry inside of her new, full size, walk-in dryer. Over all this unit has been the best and least expensive way of getting energy into our home. We get 20 degrees celsius in sunlight when the outside temperature is 0 degrees. With the fan running, I have measured temperatures of 50 degrees celsius when the outside temperature is only 18 degrees. Two of the double pain windows cracked on the inside shortly after we installed the unit. The windows were very old 1960's, a little water vapor was inside two of them. The third sealed unit is still intact. This has not had any effect on the heat output. Joe.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 08:07:40 PM by (unknown) »

WXYZCIENCE

Re: South 6-12 Pitch
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 02:24:54 PM »
WXYZ note: [This is a quality test at 25% jpg] I reworked the first pis to 25% jpg to compare on screen.

. First pic 50 %jpg = 73.66kb, Comment pic 25% = 47.3 kb.   Joe
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 02:24:54 PM by WXYZCIENCE »

richhagen

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 03:50:25 PM »
Looks nice on the outside.  I've been reading up on solar hot water panels.  They are relatively cheap and simple, and large amount of energy can be captured.  FrankG and yourself have done similar with air and report good results.

Just make sure that the top and sides of the solar box are sealed very well to the roof.  I've cut vents and such and find that water will find even the smallest gap to get in.  You probably sealed up the vent opening, but in time, probably due to different rates of expansion, that might fail, so as redundancy, I would try to keep water from even getting under the panel.  Rich

« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 03:50:25 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Stonebrain

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 03:55:59 PM »
Hi zcience,

From the second pic I would say you might have some leakage,but maybe you

have a hidden dispositif to stop the water coming from the upper asfaltsheets.

Do you have some automation for turning the ventilator of and on(thermostat).

I'm planning one working with convection,without ventilator.So have to put it

on the ground.Autoregulation too.Only "sophisticated" part will be antiretour

valve for not sucking heat from the house at night.

Never plant evergreen trees near the house!!

Keep on posting!

cheers

stonebrain  

« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 03:55:59 PM by Stonebrain »

Stonebrain

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 04:06:59 PM »
I meant the 6th pic
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 04:06:59 PM by Stonebrain »

Don Cackleberrycreations

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 09:44:12 PM »
truth be told he's not long from a new roof .

Too bad the shingler didnt know how to use the chalkline in the pic .

Better make yourself a couple of sheet metal diverters and put them above where the vent go through the roof . to seal around the vent its self use a good polyurathane calking such as NP-1 or something simular , Tar is a big No No on a roof . Im sure I'll get some feed back on the no tar on the roof . Fact is if your roofer shows up with a bucket of tar in the back of his truck  you better chase him off . It means he doesnt know how to put in metal flashing right . Tar is never more than a temp fix , for a perm fix use the Poly it expands and remains flexible
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 09:44:12 PM by Don Cackleberrycreations »

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 12:33:18 AM »
You crack me up. We don't get rain here? This house is an old train station built in 1905. The roof has had at least a couple of roofers work on it.The window box sits up 1" above the roof on stainless steal brackets. The flashing is caulked with a good polyurethane. It is actually worse than it looks (The roof that is). But we own it lock, stock and barrel. We love it.... lumpy roof and all! :0} Joe.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 12:33:18 AM by WXYZCIENCE »

kenl

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 04:27:54 PM »
 Nice looking project Joe. Been saving cans for a can solar heater but don't drink enough beer to get it built before next winter. Like your design, nice and clean looking. I like the way you kept it simple. What are you doing to keep the heat from you house from reverse cycling at night? kenny
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 04:27:54 PM by kenl »
seemed like a good idea at the time

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 12:46:14 AM »
kenl, the unit has little reverse convection the box is well insulated and sealed. I will do some tests now that you brought this up. Joe  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 12:46:14 AM by WXYZCIENCE »