Author Topic: corn burning stove  (Read 2743 times)

Goose

corn burning stove
« on: August 08, 2006, 01:11:34 AM »
This email was sent to me today.

Very nice Mr. Mock

Goose

"Subject: corn burning stove link

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 10:54:52 -0400

Hello,

I saw your questions posted on fieldlines.com asking about the corn burning stove.  I am not a member of that website and don't care to join, BUT I did make a corn burner and would like to share the information about it.  I put up a gallery of pictures of it and the link is below.  

Please feel free to post a link to this gallery on the fieldlines site.  I'd like to spread the word about how easy it is to make one of these things.

Thanks,

rob mock

My gallery:

http://www.mockster.net/php/gallery2/v/build-it/cb1/?g2_navId=xd94b3912

The page where I saw your comment:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/5/12/234843/780

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 01:11:34 AM by (unknown) »

whatsnext

Re: corn burning stove
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »
This is pretty cool but could you ask him why he doesn't run the combustion air full time. Also ask how he deals with the clinkers you get when burning corn. It looks like they would build up in the fire box and then your fuel would just bounce off them onto the bottom of the stove. He might be better off running the stove at negative pressure also but that's nitpicking. I wonder why he won't join the site, I for one would love to have someone to bounce ideas off of.

John...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:51:50 PM by whatsnext »

nanotech

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 01:29:25 AM »
As for running the combustion air full time, corn burns VERY HOT!!  In the corn burners we make at Woodmaster, the 1 inch rod that the augers are made of glows YELLOW.  So do the 1 inch tall (making a 3 inch diameter auger) by half inch thick "swirleys".  And that's when they're set to only run at 100,000BTU.  The 1100 model can go FAR in excess of 300,000, but the augers would need replacing every year, so the timers are limited to 150,000BTU output.  According to the R&D guys, the hardest part about designing the corn burner was making the augers big enough to not melt, but small enough to not just grind the corn into powder.

Clinkers cannot be helped in a corn stove.  It's a fact of life with them.  It's like using pallets in a wood burning stove, you just have to deal with removing nails once in a while.  In a corn burner, you just have to shut everything down once in a while and remove the clinkers.

The corn burners at Woodmaster aren't the most efficient at getting ALL of the energy out of the corn, but you don't have to worry about clinkers in them.  There's an auger that removes the ashes (and clinkers) at the same time that the feed auger puts in fresh fuel (corn).  But because of this, there's quite often a bit of unburned corn goes out the ash auger as well.  For the sake of not having to deal with clinkers, you end up burning a little more corn.....

Hope this helps, and if there's any more questions, I'll be happy to answer (or ask the R&D guys at work and pass on the info).

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 01:29:25 AM by nanotech »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 03:38:44 PM »
I don't want to get into warrenty issues, but have you heard of burning oats in corn-burners?

G-
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 03:38:44 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

nanotech

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 01:20:47 AM »
Not oats, no.  But around here quite the crop is sunflowers.  

Apparently sunflowers are VERY high in thier oil content (hence sunflower oil being readily used as vegetable oil I believe).  The R&D guys have had quite good luck using them raw (still in thier shells) in the corn burner.  But one drawback is thier shape.  Our current augers tend to jam with them because the pointy end gets stuck.

Apparently another good biofuel for burning in a furnace is lima beans, but they aren't quite so readily available around here.

Woodmaster corn burners will also operate unmodified on wood and paper pellets.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 01:20:47 AM by nanotech »